Chapter 16

Jen's POV

We sat down on the bench closer than I had anticipated, both of us shifting uncomfortably.

"Look," we both said at the same time, breaking the tension as we laughed together.

"You first," he said, finally looking in my eyes for the first proper time tonight.

"I just wanted to say that I'm sorry if I did something to make you mad. I didn't want things to be awkward after that night. I really consider you one of my good friends, and I've just been really afraid these past couple of weeks that I ruined it..." I said trailing off.

"No, I'm sorry. It's my fault that things got weird. I knew we were just friends, but when you kissed me back so eagerly I guess I got the wrong idea. Then when you held my hand that morning, only to drop it as soon as you saw Harry, it kind of hurt," he said looking at the pavement.

"Ash, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you. I don't want to say let's forget about the kiss, because I don't want to. I just want it to mean something different, I guess. Gosh that makes no sense," I sighed.

"No, no it does. Like you said, we're both adults. It was just a little make out, it's not like anything more happened," he said winking at me.

As soon as he winked, I knew we'd be okay.

"Thanks Ash, I guess we both learnt that we're just friends," I smiled. "Plus I saw you eyeing Bella, maybe you'll get a New Year's kiss!" I said leaning into him with a laugh.

"Yeah she's cute. And since we are just friends..." he laughed, putting emphasis on just, "would you care if I hung out with her tonight?" He said with a look of worry glinting across his face.

"No, please do. I didn't drag her up here for nothing. Plus, we are definitely just friends, and I'm not going to stand in your way," I smiled.

We both made our way back over to the group who were climbing into the car that was waiting for us now. I was happy we worked out our differences and we seemed to be okay now. Who knew what the future held for Ashton and I, but right now I knew that I was happy to have my friend back.

...

We arrived at the Harbour Party that Sydney threw on New Years, and since we were already a little tipsy from the shots we took back at the room, we all took one of the guys arms for support. Ashton extened his hand to help Bella, and she took it with a smile and headed down to the party that awaited.

Michael and Luke both looked at each other and ran up on either side of me, and took both of my arms and escorted me like two little kids would do. It made me laugh as we bounded down together, followed by Sam and Calum who hadn't detached from each other the whole time.

My talk with Ashton had sobered me up a lot, but with the vibes that the atmosphere was emitting, I was feeling it again.

The party was raging on and everyone was having a good time. We were all laughing and dancing together. Ashton and I even danced together and it wasn't weird at all.

Everytime I looked up, Calum and Sam were in some cute position, and currently she was standing with her back against his chest, watching a live band that was playing.

His arms were hugging and resting on her shoulders, and his chin was resting on her head. She looked happier than I'd seen her in a long time. Occasionally I saw him reach around and kiss her cheek, causing her to blush every time.

Seeing them really made me miss that feeling. I'd only felt it with Harry, and it sucked that I started thinking about him amidst this great party. Ashton and Bella were having a good time together, you could tell it was just harmelss fun for one night, they spent most of their time drunkenly laughing at one another.

Michael and Luke occasionally would walk away and go find a ride, or try to find girls to hit up, but they always made their way back and ended up laughing with us.

Before I knew it the countdown had begun, and everyone frantically looked around for the person they were going to kiss.

Calum hugged Sam a little tighter as they looked into the sky waiting for the fireworks that would erupt at midnight.

Ashton stood right next to Bella with his hands in his pockets, and they made eye contact and laughed before looking up again.

I just stood in between Michael and Luke, and was just excited to have a good night. I was content with not kissing anyone tonight, because the one person I wanted to kiss wasn't here with me.

The massive crowd yelled the countdown in unison, and the fireworks lit up the sky in a display unlike any other. They reminded me of Harry even more.

Sam and Calum kissed eachother with so much passion, I wondered if they remembered they were in public, but everyone was celebrating in their own world and didn't care.

I looked over to Bella and Ashton who gave eachother a peck, as he dipped her and pretended to almost drop her. They both laughed hysterically and I wish I'd gotten a picture of it.

Michael and Luke sandwhiched me in a suffocating bear hug, and plastered slobery kisses on my cheeks laughing together. They were like annoying little brothers, but I loved their gesture, and we all laughed together at how ridiculous I'm sure it looked.

Everything about this night was great. Although there seemed to always be a constant reminder of Harry, I didn't let it get to me and it had turned into the best New Year's I'd ever had.

Suddenly I felt my phone vibrate in my hand that I'd been holding since I was taking periodic pictures all night.

When I looked down, I saw Harry's name light up on my screen. My breathing temporarily stopped, and I debated if I wanted to open it right now in front of everyone.

I decided the best thing to was just to read it.

Harry: Jen, Happy New Year's beautiful. I can't wait to see you soon and talk about things. Miss you .x

Attached to the text was a picture of us looking up at the fireworks together, and my heart almost stopped. Where did that come from?

My heart warmed by the gesture knowing that he timed it out perfectly. We weren't even close to being in the same time zone so I knew he had to plan when to send it.

I stood there and looked at everyone celebrating around me, with a smile drawing across my face, I didn't know why exactly. I didn't know where Harry and I stood, but I guess his simple gesture meant something to me.

I looked up and a firework exploded in the sky, and I was happy.