Chapter 55

Jen's POV

As soon as we landed in Sydney, everyone made their way off the plane almost immediately. Since Harry and I were close to the front, I just decided to stay seated until everyone was off.

I stood to my feet, letting Harry's hand slip from my thigh. We didn't say a word the whole flight, but the simple gesture felt comforting to me. He knew I hated to fly, but with him I felt safe, even if we weren't speaking.

"Jen..." he finally spoke, making my heart thumped hard against my skin. The sound of his voice made me nervous, usually he gave me butterflies whenever he said my name, but not this time, this time I was nervous because I wasn't ready to hear what he had to say.

I paused and he stood to his feet, turning me around to face him. I didn't look up, my eyes met his chest until he placed a finger under my chin, tilting my head up to look at him. I swallowed the lump forming in my throat, from the emotions that were building up inside of me.

"Yeah?" I said quietly, trying to read his expression. He dropped his hand from my face and opened his mouth to talk.

"Do you think we could talk, you know, properly? You could come to my room when we get to the hotel if you'd like." I looked at him blankly, I didn't know what to say. I wasn't ready to be alone with him in his room.

"Erm..." he cleared his throat, "or we could talk in your room, in the lounge," he changed his mind, as if he were reading my mind, realising how his request would make me feel uncomfortable.

He seemed like it took a lot of confidence for him to even ask me to talk, I didn't want to shut him down after being so brave, but I didn't know if I was ready to hear what he had to say.

"Um..." I stalled, I knew I should, but I was scared it would make everything worse. I played with the ends of my hair, a nervous habit of mine. His eyes darted to my hand, I looked down to see he must have been looking at his ring I was wearing.

I quickly dropped my hand to my side, trying to hide the fact I was wearing it. I knew he noticed I knew what he was looking at, because when I dropped my hand he dropped his head and sighed.

I wondered if he saw it the other night when he spent the night. I had so many questions for him about that, like why he spent the night, why he didn't wake me, and why he left without telling me he was there. I knew Cal tried to tell me, but I needed to hear it from him.

He looked hurt, exhausted and mentally drained. He put me through hell the last week, but I knew he felt the exact same way I did, only worse. I was sick of hurting him, so after an internal battle with myself, I finally decided on an answer to his request.

"Can I give you an answer tomorrow? I'm tired and I can't think right now. Tonight wouldn't be a good time to talk anyway." I needed to sleep on it, I did want to talk to him, I just didn't know when.

"Fair enough," he nodded. I gave him a small smile, I wanted nothing more than to wrap my arms around his neck and tell him I loved him, and I was willing to put everything behind us. But I couldn't, not yet. Too much had happened, and I wanted to establish a new relationship with him, a better one.

He returned the smile, and it was as if all self control was lost. My arms were wrapped around his body, my head against his chest. When I realised what I was doing, I pulled away before he could reciprocate the hug, and I turned to quickly run off the plane.

I couldn't believe I just did that, I knew I was sending him mixed signals, and it wasn't fair. I needed advice on this whole thing, preferably from someone who wasn't so close to the situation.