Chapter 73

Jen's POV

New York City was every bit as incredible as I imagined it to be. Busy streets lit up by gigantic billboards, tall buildings, and the smell of various different street cart foods filled the air.

We'd be staying here for the next week, as the boys were playing shows in New Jersey, in a town quite close to the city. They had a day free between each show, then an extra three days of free time, before Angus and I had to leave for the UK.

I loved having my sister with me for the past week, it was always nice having a familiar face on the road. We hadn't really gotten to hang out much apart from at the shows, because we both wanted to spend as much time as we could with our significant other.

When I thought of the little time left I had with Harry, I became heavy hearted. I tried not to think about it, and whenever I did he would manage to distract me long enough to forget the day of my departure was inevitable.

But for the time being I was finally in NYC, a place I had always dreamed of visiting since I was a young girl. To make the whole experience so much better, Sam was here, as well as Summer, Eleanor, Gemma, Kirstin, and Perrie, and Sophia had just arrived. All the girls were back together, and I was happy to get to spend some more time with them before I left.

We all huddled around a small table outside a random alley way cafe, except for Gemma, she was off with Angus. We were catching up and talking, as our boyfriends were busy rehearsing for their shows tomorrow. On top of the concert, 5SOS were also playing their first American morning show gig tomorrow.

It was so incredible to watch these boys blow up the way they had. If anyone deserved the success they had endured the last year, it was most definitely them. Sometimes I thought people didn't give them as much credit as they deserved, especially when it came to their personal lives.

"So what's been happening with Ashton lately Summer? He seems a little down in the dumps!" Eleanor asked.

Ashton had been acting a little down lately, but I'd known him long enough to know he often got this way, so it wasn't anything new. He was mostly a happy person on the outside, always laughing and cracking jokes, but I knew he fought battles with himself over his insecurities. Out of everyone, I think it was Ashton that took the criticism to heart the most when it came from the media, and especially the fans.

"I think the things he reads online really get to him more than it should. The media are always picking those boys apart, comparing them to other bands then belittling them and their successes. But I think what hurts him the most is when the fans attack him for every little thing. Like lately they've been saying he doesn't care about them anymore because he has a "stupid girlfriend" now", she curled her fingers in the air, "and that's just not the case at all. I just feel bad, I feel like I'm the reason he's been getting all this hate and he doesn't deserve it," she sighed, taking another sip of her ice tea.

"Summer, you can't blame yourself babe," Perrie advised her. "What exactly are you doing wrong? If loving your boyfriend and spending time with him is some type of crime now, well then screw the law! There is nothing wrong with your boyfriend spending as much time with you as he can, as opposed to waiting outside hotel entrances meeting fans. They are not obligated to do that, so for fans to complain and blame you for stupid things like that is absolutely ridiculous!" She continued.

"We all get that stuff Summer," Sam joined in. "You can't let their fans get to you at all! I let them get to me, and Calum and I almost broke up over it! No one knows what our relationships are like with these boys! We don't get to see them everyday, so bloody sue us for wanting their attention while we're in town for the little time we do have with them!"