Chapter 7

Clarke was glad today went well. They got everything out in the open and were in agreement to start fresh for the most part. They had a great dinner together and she had just put Charlotte to bed.

She sat at the table paying what bills she could, there was an envelope hand written to her she was avoiding for the past few days. She knew what it was she just didn't have the money to pay it. She sold her car back to the dealership right before moving, Wells had helped her get everything to the new house. She borrowed some money from a loan shark when she was in a hard place. She paid a lot of it back but since she moved she was having a hard time making the payments, the expenses from moving and putting first and last rent down on a new place set her back, and behind on payments. She took a break to initial she read the semester itinerary for Charlotte's class, throwing the paper on the growing pile of papers on the table. She glanced at the envelope again before letting out a sigh and picking it up, she ripped it open and pulled the note out.

C. Griffin,

We know you have moved recently and needed a little time between payments however your payments are due. You have a remaining balance of $1803.98. Please make it a point to come see me within the next week, or we will be paying you a visit, I don't advise you choosing the second option.

Looking forward to seeing you,

Emerson

She took a moment to look at her check book, the balance of $189 staring back at her, causing her to her cringe. She threw the letter on the pile of papers before moving on to the next, she signed Charlotte's field trip form adding it to the pile. Mr. Blake's class was going to a local farm to make donuts and apple cider. She smiled to herself. It sounded like fun, she didn't have time to volunteer to chaperone though. Once she got ahead on bills she would get to spend more time with Charlotte, that alone kept her pushing forward.

The next morning Clarke worked at the diner followed by the coffee shop. Charlotte spent the day shopping with Auntie O. The weekend flew by before she knew it and they were back to the Monday morning rush.

"Charlotte, come on, we are going to be late" Clarke yelled up the stairs. She could hear Charlotte coming as she did a mental check, although she felt like she was missing something. They were headed out the door when Charlotte paused.

"Wait my folder" she said turning around and heading back in.

"It's on the table, just grab the papers off the top of the pile and put them in there. Let's go!" Clarke urged. They walked at a brisk pace to the school. Clarke didn't do Mondays, she could be up four hours early and somehow she was always late. They headed to the stairs and into the hallway, she couldn't help but smile when she saw Bellamy waiting for his class outside the classroom door.

"Ms. Griffin" he greeted with a smile.

"Mr. Blake" she nodded to him returning the smile.

"Charlotte, go take your seat"he said opening the door.

"Bye mom, love you" she called slipping inside.

"I love you too" Clarke replied.

"Ms. Griffin, do I have to remind you what time class starts?" Bellamy teased.

"What are you going to do? give me detention?" She laughed as she walked away. He shook his head.

"Have a good day Bell"

"You too princess" he replied. He saw her slow her steps and thought she was going to stop but she picked up pace quickly. He always called her 'princess' when they were younger. If felt good to hear it roll off his lips, she didn't realize how much she missed it until she heard it for the first time since she's been back. She couldn't keep the smile off her face, finally her life was starting to look up.

Her shift at the diner was kind of busy for a Monday making it go by relatively quick.

Bellamy was sitting at his desk going through the folders and collecting the papers, separating the field trip forms from the rest of the stuff. He opened Charlotte's folder taking her field trip paper out, He went to grab the initialed lesson plan itinerary when another paper fell from the folder. He saw it was a note to Clarke, his eyes scanned the message quick. He ran a hand over his face before looking up at the class, Charlotte sat completely entranced by the story.

"Clarke, what have you gotten yourself into" he whispered to himself. He texted the name to Murphy.

Bellamy: Emerson from Polis?

Murphy replied in seconds.

Murphy: Loan Shark, why you need money? I have a few jobs.

He was afraid that would be the answer.

Bellamy: Thanks anyway, I'm pretty sure a lot of parents wouldn't be happy if I taught their kids and worked for you in my spare time.

Murphy: Probably not haha, on a more serious note Emerson is not the type of "Banker" you want. He is the kind to break your fingers as your first warning.

Bellamy: thanks for the info.

Murphy: No prob.

He slipped his phone and the note into his pocket, and waited for the story to end so he could release the kids to Recess.

Clarke clocked out of the diner and hurried to the coffee shop.

"Clarke Griffin?" a voice came from the doorway of a building. She turned to scan the opening.

"Murphy" she replied.

"Long time no see, hows everything?" He asked stepping out on to the sidewalk.

"Everything's good, I'm on my way to work, want a coffee?" Clarke asked. He gave her a nod and fell instep with her. Murphy and Clarke always got along she just avoided being seen in public with him too often. He had a lot of extracurricular activities that weren't exactly legal.

"I hear you have a little one now" He said looking to her.

"I do, her name is Charlotte, she is in Bellamy's class" She replied with a smile.

"I just talked to Bellamy, either him or Octavia must be hard up for money, they were inquiring about a loan shark." he said making conversation. However once Clarke faltered her steps and came to a stop it all fell in place for him.

"Or maybe it's you...Emerson ring a bell?"he asked. Clarke's eyes shot up to his.

"Was he here?" she asked.

"Nope, but if you owe him money, rest assured he will be." Murphy replied. Clarke nodded as she started walking again.

"I could use some help every now and then, just accounting stuff, interested?" Murphy offered. Clarke sighed. Not like her life was full of opportunities at the moment.

"What do you pay?" she asked, receiving a smile from Murphy.