The Ruins

I focused ahead, stopping as I entered the next room. At the end of the room there was an elevated doorway decorated with ivy and a sign hanging above it, although it looked pretty faded. There were two stairways on each side that led up to the high doorway and red leaves decorated the floor in front of me, even forming a square. 

   'How do they have leaves down here, let alone ivy.... I guess magic but....' I thought to myself before noticing the golden star twinkling near the red leaves.

   "A save star!" I gasped delighted rushing over to it and reaching out to hold it, feeling its warm heat on my skin. I paused. Frisk had to have saved while they were in the underground. Would I save over her? Or would I have a save all my own? The glowing objects seemed to glow brighter for a second, beckoning me to save but  I lower my hands to the ground. "I can hold out for a little longer....." I told myself before heading up the left stairway. I looked up at the sign again trying to read the words that had been carved into the metal sign but vines were starting to grow over them and the metal was rusting. I was able to make out one word in the sign.

"Ruins"

............................................................

        Frisk panted, regaining her breath as she laid on the couch finally out of Papyrus' clutches. Papyrus had a proud look on his face as he wrapped on his scarf. 

      "I'm heading to the Capital to check on the progress with the barrier. Do you wish to come with me human?" He asked glancing back at her. Frisk shook their head slightly.

      "I'll..... come by.......later." She said in between breaths. 

    "Alright, be safe." Paps nodded opening the door. "Oh and there is some left over spaghetti in the fridge if you get hungry!" He added with a smile before closing the door. She shivered at the brief exposure to the cold, snowdin breeze. Frisk sat up, starting to breath normally now before looking up at Sans' door. They hopped off the couch and silently headed up the stairs, her hand barely reaching the railing made with the skeleton brothers in mind. Frisk crept towards Sans' room and leaned closer to see if she could hear anything.......

  It was dead quiet. 

     Frisk raised her hand to knock on the door before pausing. He's nightmares were about her. They were her  fault. Frisk sighed turning to leave before they heard the door click. They froze, staring at the ground as they heard the door creak open (Sans was too lazy to ever fix it despite his brother's constant nagging).  

    ".......Frisk?......." Sans said after a minute. "How come you aren't at the capital? I heard Papyrus leave....." 

   "I.... I wanted to make sure you were ok....." Frisk said quietly. The pause that followed seemed to drag out for hours, the only sound the thumping of her heart that echoed through her ears. 

  "Come on, you know I'll be fine. Nothing can keep this funny bone down." Sans said with his usually smile as Frisk glanced ever so slightly over at him. 

   "The nightmares were about me weren't they..." Frisk whispered closing her eyes. Again there was a dreaded silent pause. 

 "Babybones...." Sans said gently scooping her up into a hug. Frisk help onto him, hiding her face in his sweater. "My nightmares aren't always about Chara, and they are never about you."