Chapter 44

"Who the hell let him in?! Who let you in?" Iain placed a finger at his temple as Aaliyah questioned Warner.

"Please, calm down.", Diverting her attention, Iain silently cursed as she gave him a irritable look.

"Don't tell me to calm down Iain, I thought I made it clear to you I didn't want to address this problem so soon! Yet you let him in! You did not acknowledge a word I said!"

Warner cleared his throat as he stepped forward, trying to somewhat calm down the raging woman.

"Please, Ms. Pinkston the sooner we do this the sooner I will leave you alone."

"Let's just get this over with." Aaliyah turned to Lilli. "Sweetie, why don't you go down to the cafeteria I heard they're serving pizza."

Watching Lilli use her crutches, everyone waited until she was out of the room. Warner rocked back and forth on his feet as he let out small whistles, Iain recognized the tune as "Home On The Range". Hearing the door close Aaliyah spoke first.

"Okay, come on let's get this over with already." Warner pulled up a chair next to the bed, sitting down he took out a pen and notepad.

"Alright Ms. Pinkston, we're gonna take this slow. Let's start by going way back before the accident, can you recall what was going on?"

Aaliyah rolled her eyes internally as she thought of how cliché this all was, a detective in a trench coat, holding a pad and pen.

"I recall....planning for Lilli's birthday party with Iain. We set everything and I was suppose to be the distraction as Iain got things in order." Hearing a crack in her voice, Iain gave Aaliyah a reassuring look. He knew why she was getting emotional. Lilli never got that birthday party they planned.

"Okay, that's very good. Now let's go to when you picked up Lilli, do you remember anything unusual? Any cars? People?"

Aaliyah shook her head, sighing as tears fell.

"Anything would be helpful." Detective Warner put down his materials as he grabbed Aaliyah's hands. "Ms. Pinkston please, relax. Clear your mind, close your eyes, and imagine you are picking up Lilli. Imagine you are back at the event."

Feeling odd she looked to Iain, who nodded his head. Closing her eyes, Aaliyah sighed and tried to remember.

"What do you see?" Letting go of Aaliyah's hands, Warner went for his pen and paper once again.

"I see...the radio clock, it reads 2:58 PM ...Lilli gets out of school at 3.",

"That's perfect Aaliyah you're doing just fine. Now, look around. What else do you see?"

Aaliyah swallowed nervously as she closed her eyes more.

"I see...kids walking with their parents. I see, I see...a car in my rear view...no..a truck pulling up behind me to pick up their child."

Scribbling quickly the detective said an "Okay." Encouraging Aaliyah to keep going.

"Then Lilli came and I pulled off..."

Warner leaned forward.

"Do you recall seeing a child get in the truck parked behind you?"

"...No.", Aaliyah said a little unsure of herself.

"Do you recall what kind of truck it was Aaliyah? Toyota? Jeep?"

"I...I dont remember. It was just bigger than a car."

Warner wrote down what she said as he told her to continue.

"I..I was driving but Lilli leaned in the front and wanted to show me something. I-I- turned to look for a quick moment and-" Aaliyah broke down in sobs as she remembered everything all too vividly. "I tried to avoid this truck that ran a stop sign, I avoided it barely. Then-" Once again interuppted by her weeping, Iain came to comfort her. Rubbing her back gently he shook his head at Warner, signaling this may be enough.

"What then Ms. Pinkston." The detective pushed.

"I lost control." By now Aaliyah's eyes were open and alert, everything came back to her in a painful remembrance. "A...another vehicle hit me. I recall it was a Jeep for sure, hit me dead on and spun me into more cars. Then everything is blurry. I'm sorry."

Standing up Warner flipped his pad closed but not before writing down a couple more things.

"Oh no, you did your best and I believe I got all I need. Your family will still be placed under heavy protection until further notice. I'll be in touch."

Exiting the room, the detective placed his card outside on the hall table. Passing one of his officers he leaned in to him.
"I don't want them to leave your sight, do you understand? This was definitely not an accident." The officer nodded curtly as he stood up straight, hands behind his back guarding the hospital room.

Aaliyah laid her head on Iain's chest as he held her in his warm arms, Rubbing her thigh in circles.

"You did great." Iain praised.

Aaliyah closed her eyes and fought the tears that threatened to spill once again. She was sick of crying, she always felt it was a helpless thing to do but what else could she do?

Opening her eyes once again, they wandered. Resting on the TV she watched as "The Flash" went off and the news came on, seeing a picture of her and Lilli in her car she hurriedly grabbed the remote and pressed the volume up key.

Newscaster: Breaking News, Fiancé of Iain Pliegue of Pliegue Industrial, Aaliyah Pinkston and their daughter Lilli Pliegue is still in the hospital from what has been said to be an "accident". Sources say they are recovering just fine and will be okay-"

The TV powered off as Iain pressed the off key on the remote.

"Don't listen to that, it's all majorly based on speculation."

Aaliyah sat up and looked at Iain with squinted eyes.

"Iain, we are on the news! Will our lives ever be private, I can't live like this, now the whole world knows who I am."

"Aaliyah I am a well know business man, of course we're going to be on the news. My life wasn't private before you and it won't be after, can you accept that?",

Throwing the covers off of her and pushing Iain away, Aaliyah went into the bathroom.
Iain went to follow,

"Aaliyah, no. Please come on-"

Only to have the door slammed shut in his face.

"I want to go home!"

Iain sighed as he pushed his long black hair back, out of his face.

'Why is things always so difficult with her?' He thought.