Chapter 5

Dark eyes peered through the spyglass at the ship sailing towards them in the distance. With a curse, Cuthburt lowered it and faced the sailor to his side in anger.
"When did you notice that ship?"

He watched the scrawny man fumble and shift on his legs before answering.
"Not long ago Captain."

Cuthburt mumbled under his breath before lifting the spyglass again to stare at the ship sailing towards them at moderate speed.
The ships sails and flag alone set fear in those that happened upon it.

It was sailing fast in search of its Captain. O'Shae.

"Set the sails and change course quickly before they catch up. We can not let them get close." he studied the ominous ship as it sliced mercilessly through the dark water in their direction.

Frantically, the sailor turned and began yelling orders to drop the sails.
Cuthburt turned to look out at the ship in the far distance gauging more or less the time it would take for its quick approach and if he was lucky enough to escape them.

Holding onto the railing he tightened his grip in anger, berating himself for all his misfortune that led up to this moment. He could very well be in the company of a willing wench and enjoying himself at a brothel in port. But, he had the unfavorable luck of losing a valuable item. One that could not fall into his captive's hands.

With a deep breath, he shook his head not caring for the acrid memories that lead him in this awful predicament. He was supposed to watch the boy and turn him over to his uncle. It was an agreement made by his stepmother he swore he would do when Justin was only 8.  But his uncle was in no position to take care of Justin. The poor bastard was closer to his grave than anything. Days away from death's door. So he took care of Justin and raised him as best he could.

With a scoff, he shook his head. As best he could...

At the tender age of 11, he was already part of his crew swabbing the decks and helping the men on this very ship.
Justin slowly mastered the ways of a pirate's life by 17. And by 19 he was commandeering his own ship. It wasn't until Justin's first raid he realized too late then, he had created a monster in Justin.

His gaze rested on the ship that seemed to be getting closer as the seconds passed.

He looked up to notice his sails had been dropped and his men still ran around working diligently to get the ship sailing in the opposite direction.

After some time one of his men appeared at his side once more.
"Captain the sails are dropped but there is barely enough wind to get it going fast...it is too calm out."

"How soon before it approaches?" he mumbled.

"Before dawn in as little as 2 to 3 hours or less....give or take Captain," he said turning to look at the ship in the distance.

An eeriness crept up the sailor's spine staring at it in the distance. He swallowed at the thought of it catching up to them. The weariness of what they did to the Black Scourge slowly made it hard to think of a way to escape. 

Many of them heard the tales of the man they held captive below and how he had a mutinous black heart. Mercy was not part of his inclination. He was quick to walk his enemies off the plank or throw them overboard, even slice them down where they stand.

"Go get him and the girl in my cabin. Bring them up on deck. Ready the men for when that ship approaches. Take no prisoners. The first to step aboard this ship...dies." Cuthburt warned before walking off.

**********

The waiting was unbearable.

She stood behind the door alert for when he would return.