Chapter 46

Anger, resentment, and rage ate at Tempest like a disease during the weeks since Justin betrayed her and handed her back over to Haines.

Now, confined in the well-furnished home of the Lieutenant in Mayfair, Tempest had become restless and disconsolate.
Her apparent pregnancy and obvious disinterest for attending anything alongside Haines left her with sedate, lonely walks or carriage rides in the park with her servants in attendance: Colette and Sophie. 

It was an enjoyment that quickly paled for someone who only months ago basked in the warm sun of the tropics.
For several weeks as her waistline thickened more and the arrival of her child was getting closer, she managed to forcefully amuse herself with selecting clothing for her unborn child. 

On other days, she moped about the house in Haines's presence; vainly acknowledging the help and mainly keeping to herself.  It was obvious to him that the lowest of her spirits was due to Justin and he had no patience with it.

He had made it clear on many occasions since he brought her to his home that they were husband and wife, and that she would act accordingly.  Tempest on the other hand was indifferent to what Haines wanted and not once but twice had to fend for herself and fight off his advances.

He had realized too late that his threats of 'tracking down the pirate, then strapping him to a whipping post and beating him within an inch of his life,' did not move her. So, he furiously tried forcing himself on her.

But to no avail, he would lose.

With him, she would not hold her tongue or submit.  She despised him and did not care who knew it.

At 5 months pregnant...
She would still find herself fighting off his advances.  His obsessed cravings for her had become ridiculous.  But, then finally one night, out of many, she was readily prepared.  As she lay still and motionless beneath him, in his drunken stupor he had mistaken her pale and listless appearance for surrender.

Eagerly, he kissed and caressed her while she inwardly recoiled with revulsion as he anxiously lifted her chemise then bared her flesh.  With impatient need and desire, his erection prodded against her intimate spot.

But before he could get any further, the cold sharp blade of a dagger was pressed to his throat.
Carefully, he pulled away staring at the gleaming blade and murderous glint in her eyes.

Realization cleared his lustful, drunken haze immediately and the quaint stirring of fear in his gaze satisfied her greatly as she followed him off the bed with sure steps, despite her frailness.

"Get out!" She spat furiously.

With a curse, he angrily backed away towards the door and he stepped over the threshold then Tempest slammed it shut in his face.  She turned away on shaky legs and climbed back into bed,  sure and content that Haine's would not be back. 

Suddenly, she realized that the flutterings of trapped butterflies in her womb were not due to nerves. But, in fact,  they were the movements of her child. Dawning cleared that moment in her tired mind that in a couple of months, she will have her child in her arms.

She swore to herself that, despite Justin's betrayal, she would love their child with every ounce of her being.

In her eighth month of pregnancy...
She noticed that the days were becoming achingly slow with only weeks nearing to the arrival of her child.
Her father filled with concern, consulted with her mother endlessly on the matter and ordered that Tempest spend the remainder of her pregnancy in their home.  He was becoming alarmed with the paleness, loss of weight, and her uncharacteristic quietness.