Chapter 18

Land ahoy!!!
Land ahoy!!!

They shouted from all corners of the ship. He pulled away slightly and gave her beautiful face one last glance before reluctantly pulling away to see what was going on.

She watched as he slowly turned away and began shouting orders. The men all around began to run in different directions and pull on ropes and roll barrels out of the way.

Tempest turned and went to the side of the ship and gasped. Land.
It was not far off in the distance but as the sails were adjusted it wasn't long before the wind propelled them closer. She enjoyed the view of the island as it got closer. The lush green terrain was surrounded by a white sandy beach.

In no time the order for the anchors to be dropped was bellowed and then suddenly the ship lay buoyant in the water bobbing about facing the island at a distance.

Bellamy slowly made his way towards her with a curt smile before joining her at the railing.
"Is that Tortuga?" she looked at the island and the large palm trees that speckled the terrain.

"Nay lass, t'is an uninhabited island," he said observing it.

"How can you tell?" she asked looking at him in awe.
He pointed briefly to it. "No smoke means no natives or people are near cooking or using fire," he said studying the sky above it.

She turned to look at it all. An uninhabited island she mused.

She stood around and watched as orders were bellowed by Justin to load two empty barrels on one boat with two men and the rest gather what they needed to go ashore. 

In no time 7 boats were in the water surrounding her as she sat quietly between Justin and Quinn as they rowed towards the island. One by one as the boats edged onto the sand, lines were tied together and hoisted onto the sand and held down with boulders and rocks. She figured it was to keep them from floating away.

The boat rocked steadily as they climbed off and held onto it swimming further in before joining the others. She watched as they began to walk the sandy beach and looking around.

She watched Justin hand Quinn a satchel filled with kettles and tools before turning to her and holding out his hand. She peered into his eyes as she reached for them. Without hesitation, as she swung her feet over to step into the water, he lifted her up into his arms and carried her. Her heart fluttered as her fingers curled around his neck and his gaze briefly held hers as he held her tight before looking away and wading through the water.

Walking further up to dryer sand, he lowered her slowly to stand on her own feet. She felt a relief wash over as the warm sand curled between her toes. She could do nothing but giddily smile and wiggle them more.

With a grin pulling at the edge of his lips he watched her as she playfully wiggled her toes in the sand and slowly turned in a circle. When she stopped she looked up to him and paused. They stared at one another for a brief moment.

Cap'n we have fresh water!!!

The shouts pulled his eyes away to watch one of his men quickly approach them with a smile and excitement in his eyes.

He turned to the man and gave him a curt nod before extending his hands to her once more. Slowly they walked further in and were surrounded by the men that gladly accepted Justin's orders to comb the area before they settled in. Gather what they could find edible to eat and build a small fire.

In no time they shuffled about and did what he ordered as he gently held her hand and walked with her to find the freshwater.
They stepped over the clearing deeper beyond some palm trees where the loud hiss of water could be heard at a distance. He pulled a large banana leaf out of her way and helped her over a log until he stood at her side in awe at the breathtaking view of a large waterfall.