Chapter 43

"You are invited to a masquerade ball."

It has been 2 days since her mother had informed her. Tempest forced an agreeing nod right after her mother's warning.

"Do not disappoint me."

"Yes, mother," she mumbled.

Resigned to endure the night's festivities, with the help of her maid she sat and listened to her hum in the distance as her gown was being prepared.

"I nearly forgot your tea," the maid gasped walking towards the door.

"I will return shortly and I will help you dress, mistress."

Tempest was so absorbed in her thoughts and brushing her hair, she barely heard her maid leave or when the door opened and closed afterward. She continued to brush her hair in long soothing strokes; oblivious to the presence behind her.

Haines stood with his back pressed to the door enjoying the view of Tempest brushing her hair. His gaze followed it as she pulled the bristled square through the long tresses that billowed softly around her with each stroke. She made an enticing sight that excited him so much that his breath hitched in his throat at the sight of her in only her chemise that the slight bulge forming in his breeches had suddenly become uncomfortable.

He has wanted her for so long ever since the day he pulled her into the horse stall so long ago. The only thing that stopped him from taking her that day was the fact that she was a virgin. But now that was not the case. His beautiful wife was no untouched flower. The chit made sure of that, he clenched his jaw.

He realized that this fell in his favor although he would have preferred her to be pure and untried, she was ripe and skilled no doubt. No thanks to that bastard pirate. Either way, he looked at this bitter truth as something good even when it would cost him in the end. With what he pretended, his viral nature would not let him walk away. The Rogue in him swelled full and ready.

He would have Tempest in his bed this very night.

He pushed away slowly from the door and carefully approached her. She was still unaware of his presence as he stepped closer. Haines's eyes lowered the length of her and the exposed skin of her shoulders with his lecherous gaze. The moment he placed his knee into the bed and reach for her, she was aware of his movement.

She shrieked and tried to scramble back but was too late.

"What are you doing here?" Tempest asked trying to keep as much distance from him as possible. She groped around pulling at the sheets to cover herself; seeking some type of barrier. But it was difficult as he crawled closer until successfully she was pinned beneath him.

Powerless to move, she had no other way of escape. "Why are you here?" she shoved at his chest.

"I came to tell you that the carriage will arrive in the hour," his gaze traveled over her beautiful face.

"I think...." his hand slowly rose to caress her cheek. "We have enough time to get well acquainted until it arrives," he moved closer.

"Never!" she said slapping his hand away.

That only excited him more that his breeches tightened with each second that passed being so near to her.

He chuckled moving closer. "You and I have unfinished business, wife," he said casually.

"What business? You and I have no such thing," she flung defiantly.

"Oh, I think we do," he smiled resting his hands on either side of her body; His face coming closer to hers. She remained frozen in place as his eyes skimmed the rest of her beneath him.