Chapter 23

His gaze on the charts and maps before him went unfocused, his thoughts plainly on other things. Mainly on someone.

He tried with little success in concentrating on what Bellamy was saying. They will be arriving within hours at the bay in Azores. It would be a resting spot to restock on items they needed to continue on to England.

He listened as Bellamy and Quinn happily spoke of the Taverns they will soon visit and which had the best willing wenches a man could hope for.

But his mind was nowhere near thinking about that. Although it should. He needed a distraction other than her. His heart tightened at the thought. But in truth, he needed to do something fast. He needed to focus on the task at hand.

Get her to her family. End of story.

Their conversation continued on about the trajectory of their voyage and how far off track they were before sailing into Azores's Port. By then he noticed she was on deck slowly walking towards the side railing.  His heart fluttered at the sight of her dressed in a day gown. She quietly settled there passing the time looking out at the ever-changing sea.

She was unaware that the evening sunset had turned her loosened hair into billowing dark waves around her face, or that her averted profile had the sweet purity of a perfect silhouette. His eyes wandered from time to time to feast on the enchanting picture she made, Justin openly admired her and the men beside him whenever they thought the captain wasn't aware of it.

As night fell he decided to stay above deck and sail his ship in. If any would have known better, they would know that he did it to not go below to be in the cabin and in such closed space with her these last couple of days...because it weakened him.
Her simplest gestures inflamed his senses from her enticing view of walking around, smiling, and talking with him. 

He took a deep breath, stepped aside and unfolded his spyglass, and peered through it at the harbor of Azores at a distance. For the moment the docks were calm, and he breathed a sigh of relief. He could turn his full attention to guiding his ship through.

"Justin?"

He whirled around to face her standing behind him wrapped in one of his cloaks.

"What are you doing up?" He frowned.

She stood holding onto the balustrade and clutching his cloak tight.

"I couldn't sleep," she leaned against it and looked at him.

A sense of possession swept through him and tightened his chest with the wind that plucked at his cloak only to expose her delicate form through the thin nightrail. Quickly he looked up to see if anyone were on deck to notice her.

"You shouldn't be up here. It is late," he told her, his eyes lowering down the length of her gown.

"I...don't want to be alone," she stammered, then gently circled her arms around herself.

His gaze held hers briefly as his jaw clenched, contemplating what to do.

"I take it, you want to remain above here with me," he mumbled.

She nodded.

"You will listen and stay close," he warned.

She agreed once more.

She nibbled nervously on her lips and watched him timidly. Her heart fluttered with excitement the moment his gaze softened and he extended his hand.

With a beautiful smile, she stepped closer and placed her hand in his firm, secure hold. Her knees locked against the sudden dip in the ship but it wasn't enough to steady her as she suddenly ended up in his arms.