Chapter 39

She was sick for the fifth morning in a row. She knelt gasping over a chamber pot in violent spasms of nausea. Now exhausted and weak, she trembled standing to her feet and made her way back to bed then climbing in to rest on the cool sheets.  Why on earth does she feel this way? Had she contracted some disease? She had never been this ill before. This sudden sickness was beginning to worry her. 

A light sudden tap at her door pulled her away from her thoughts. The cheerful timid face of her maidservant appeared.  "I bring you morning tea, mistress," she announced as she slowly entered.

 Tempest smiled at her weakly; biting down on her trembling lips. She watched the maidservant carefully holding a tray as she entered with a piping hot cup of tea, crumpets, her favorite, and jam. Once more, nausea and fragility took her as she apologized then turned away trying to fight the bile slowly rising to her throat. 

"Are you alright, mistress?" she asked, concern in soft brown eyes.  Tempest sat up slowly against her pillows with a deep breath; still feeling a bit shaky. 

 "I'm fine, I've just been a little nauseous lately. It's nothing to worry about." Tempest reached tentatively for the cup of tea.

"But of course, mistress," she said shyly turning away to leave her in peace to drink her tea while she searched for a dress.

"A baby is nothing to worry about," she sighed smiling and placing Tempest's gown on the edge of the bed. "I am sure Lieutenant Haines will be delighted with the news," she said dreamily.

Tempest paused abruptly holding the delicate china in her now unsteady hands. "Baby?" Tempest whispered.

"Why yes," She smiled coming closer to gently pull away the cup from Tempest's now shaky hands and placing it on the tray. "Is that not why he is here? I overheard M'lady Fontaine and the Lieutenant going over the terms for your marriage."

"The Lieutenant?" Tempest paled. Her hand crept to her stomach, still firm and flat beneath her night rail. "Oh, forgive me mistress if I am out of bounds, I figured you knew. I came to bring you your breakfast and help you dress. They await you in the study."  She barely heard the maids rambling as she thought back quickly and blanched. She had completely lost track of her monthly course.

"Mistress," she called to her holding up her dress. Tempest faces her with a look of dread and fear. Her emotions had dissolved rapidly from happiness, worry, and then fear. Her mother will be furious. Slowly the maid urged her off the bed and helped her dress. She turned Tempest around and shuffled her quickly towards her vanity where she sat mute and staring off into the distance while the maid talked with a majestic air of excitement about her marriage to the Lieutenant.

In no time, she was out of her room and making it down the steps towards her father's study. it seemed like the longest walk she has ever taken. As she reached the door, she knocked lightly with shaking hands.

"Come in," her mother ordered.

Pushing the door open, she stepped inside and quietly closes it behind her. She walks to stand in front of her mother sitting on a settee, but she looks up at the lieutenant who stood behind her mother with a victorious hungry gaze. Her mother sits emotionless, prim, and straight then offers for her to sit. Tempest hesitated. In truth, she wanted to run. But rigidly she lowers herself into the chair without protest. Her chest ached as her heart plummeted and thumped heavily in her chest.

When her mother lifts her gaze to hers, her skin prickles at the look in her eyes. She held that calm, calculating gaze she has come to know as her demise. Her mother sighs suddenly then stands. She begins to pace.

"I have called you here to discuss something of importance, Tempest," she stops before her.

"As you may know, Lieutenant Haines has asked for your hand. And I have accepted," she says without emotion, without reaction, without any feelings whatsoever.