Chapter 52

She sat perched on a nearby barrel observing him. He was still out cold; tied to the ship's mast. His head lulled back and forth with the sway of the ship as it danced across the sea.

The midday sun was hot but they were thankful for the sea breeze that cooled the unforgivable balmy weather that was slowly approaching them from the west.

Every so often, one or two crewmen would offer her wine or bread to eat but she would refuse. She was in no mood to eat or sleep. Warily they watched her observing the pirate tied to the mast. No orders were given on what to do with him as he was dragged and chained to the damp pulpy wood.

Slow footfalls caught her attention and she looked up at Commodore Oliver Ramsey, the captain of the ship, making his way towards her. The burly older man with grey matted hair looked a worse for wear. He stopped inches away from her shifting his gaze from the man clinging to the mast then to her.

"What do you plan to do with him, lass?"

She looked away from his expectant gaze and focused on Justin.

What was she going to do with him?

Truthfully, she did not think that far. She wanted answers. That was clear.
She wants to know why he took her child? Where he is keeping him?

With each rising question in her mind, she was getting impatient and anxious for answers only he could give. And that upset her even more. So much so, the threat of her tears hung dangerously on her eyelids.

She blinked them away, refusing to let these men see her at her weakest. Her lips thinned as she quickly stood and gave the order.

"Wake him up."

*****

Brisk cool seawater brought him out of the dark recesses of his mind. With a gasp, he shook his head as he was doused again with water.

"Bloody hell, enough! I'm awake." He yelled.

His head lulled back, resting on the wood post as his eyes slowly opened.
Still lightly drunk, his head went forward to land on twelve sets of boots. Twelve unrecognizable men surrounded him. With daggers and scabbards drawn to give them courage. He chuckled inwardly.

What did he do?

Had a tavern brawl gone wrong?

His head flopped back to look up at their unfamiliar faces. It was clear now to him that he was in a predicament of sorts. Tied to a ship's mast. Again....

He frowned, it  wasn't his ship.
That. Sobered him up some.

"Untie me, " he ordered to no one in particular but it was loud enough to hear, yet none of them moved.

He struggled furiously. The light groan of the ropes, popped and slightly stretched.

They exchanged nervous glances. One and all kept a safe distance lest their captive changed his inclination and decide to break loose and attack. 

"I said untie me. Now!" He looked up at them.

No one moved. His jaw clenched as he looked around slowly.
Where the hell was his crew?
What did they do?

He lowered his head and tightened his eyes shut. He needed to remember what happened last night.
Why was he tied up?

All of those thoughts froze in the back of his head the moment a shadow loomed over him.
He opened his eyes, and they fell on small boots then slowly made their way up to focus on snug breeches, a form-fitting blouse, then...familiar, accusing aquamarine eyes.

She held his gaze. He was fully aware something was afoot. Those eyes of hers showed no love. No despair. No hurt.

Only anger. As if...Sparks flew like metal against metal.

His chest tightened. Of all the disastrous outcomes that could have happened to a pirate captain, the infamous Black Scourge was faced with the unthinkable — a jilted lover.

He was caught in the net of her harsh blue-green eyes. Ones that seemed to cut right through him. The ones that used to look at him as if he were the most important person in the world.

Tempest Whitwell.

His Tempest.  It couldn't be her. He was dreaming. Or hallucinating. He must be.
He blinked. Tempest was still there, staring back at him.

He pulled against the ropes. He wanted to reach for her. Tell her how much he loved and missed her. But he froze as the pointy edge of her cutlass pressed to his throat.

He held her gaze with shock and confusion.

"What is the meaning of this, Tempest?"

Her lips thinned as she stepped closer and lowered to her haunches before him.

Aquamarine eyes clashed with his.

"You're going to give me back my son.
Or you die."

*****

Sorry for the short long waited for update but here it is..
I have sort of lost interest in the story because there is so much I want to do and can't. I've been so busy I haven't had time for pretty much anything since I returned to the working world.
But here it is.