Chapter 58

....1 yr later.....

He slowly made his way down a sandy path that lead towards the pristine beach ahead of him.

He had been up for some time. Unable to sleep, he woke up early to enjoy the short span of time between dark and light, when the day was slowly awakening until the rays of the sun, high in the sky danced along the sparkling sea.

Today would mark the day that he first met her. He would never forget it. It was the day that changed everything. She changed everything.

The moment Sophie had lead them to where the midwife lived, he finally felt the dark clouds above him give way to brighter skies. He had his son back.

So much had happened since then. From finding out the truth about her mother to finding their son, to accepting his punishment for prior offenses.

"But why must they take you? You have done nothing wrong, " she clung to him as uniformed guards, flanked his sides.

He tilted her chin up to look at him. Her aquamarine eyes filled with tears, searched his for answers.

"It won't be for long, I promise we will be together soon, " he whispered, gently brushing away her tears.

He looked over to their son in her arms. "Take care of him, " he begged.

Unable to respond, she gave a quick nod before he roughly pulled her close and claimed her lips passionately for them all to see that.....She was his.

He stepped away and waited for the guards to take him. But her father approached him.

"For as much as I would like to see you swing from the gallows, sadly that will not be your fate, Black Scourge," the Admiral grumbled.

Justin stood to his full height facing him with Tempest and their son still in his arms.

"Regardless of what he has done in the past, he had a reason. And... he saved your daughter," Her grandfather spoke up.

They turned to face him.

"I will take my punishment whatever it is, " Justin looked away from the Coronels knowing smirk then turned and stood firm to face the Admiral with a determined gaze.

"Papa, please...don't do this, " Tempest tearfully begged him.

Justin's chest caved with her sobs as the guards lead him out of her home.

As promised, his full weight of punishment was minor. Newgate was nothing but a blur for his 6-month stay then he was released with a full pardon and free of all charges as were his men.

He soon after relinquished his old life at sea, sold his ships and settled with his wife and son in Jamaica.

His wife. The moment he held her in his arms, it was his first priority to marry her. He was in awe and grateful that her father with the help of the magistrate, annulled her marriage to Haines who no dought was somewhere rotting in Newgate's cells.
Lucinda, unfortunately, could not handle her punishment. The squalid, overcrowded, unsanitary conditions of the place were too much for her. Therefore, she took her life days after being placed in Coldbath Fields prison.

He slowly trudged along the sand in deep thought until the giggle and laughter of a small child in the distance made him lookup.

Justin grinned admiring the view of his son, Braxton, running from Tempest's friend, Millicent, as she chased him in circles playfully.

Then his gaze fell on Tempest as she slowly followed them, deep in her own thoughts. He felt his heart race with the sight of her getting closer. He noticed how her skin that was once fair and pale, had taken on the golden hue it once had when they first met and her tumbling hair had become longer and shinier even more glorious under the tropical sun.