Chapter 38

Darkness fell over her soul and she trembled with every step he took towards her. She felt isolated in the large Ballroom with nowhere to turn or run.  With growing trepidation, she lifted her gaze to his when he finally stood before her.
" Miss Whitwell," he drawled, acknowledging her with a triumphant smile.

Overcoming her reluctance to speak to him, she responded cordially.
"Lieutenant Haines?"

His eyes narrowed and very slowly combed the length of her, from head to toe.  When at last he looked at her, she saw hunger in his eyes that brought on a dizzying sense of panic and repulsion.

His lips twitched with her visual discomfort.

" I see the Black Guard of O'Shea returned you unharmed," he said.

The twinge of disappointment that Justin had returned her was apparent in her gaze.
"Yes, he has," she swallowed squaring her shoulders and raising her eyes daringly to his.

"Indeed," he murmured.

His smile was pleasantly false as he continued to scrutinize her.  Before he could continue, The orchestra struck its first chord for the Waltz.

He turned to her,  his voice dropped to a husky whisper.  "Would you honor me with a dance, Miss Whitwell?" 

Unable to answer quickly, she held his expectant gaze. He smiled as if sensing her hesitation. There was no measure of defense to protect her if she denied him. The Ton will talk and her mother would begin a vicious tirade.

The hard judgmental plains of his face softened when she took his hand and was led to the middle of the dance floor.  He remained quiet as he led her to the middle; then turned to face her and pulled her in for the first steps as the chords struck.  She stood rigidly erect in his hold relieved with the other couples surrounding them.

Silence lingered between them for several unbearable seconds, then he cocked his head to the side to eye her suspiciously.
"You do not look as if you are happy to be here." he speculated.

"Why do you say that?" she frowned.

"Oh! I don't know it is as if you were saddened,  forlorn,  suffering from... shall we say ....heartache?"

She blinked quickly several times averting her gaze. " I... I don't know what..," she began.

"Oh! Come now, Tempest,"  he chuckled interrupting her.

She felt appalled that he would use her given name so openly as if they were more than acquaintances.  He pulled her slightly closer unaffected by her incredulity.

"You don't expect me to believe that the Black Scourge, had you for so long on his ship and you remain..." he paused gazing down at her.  "Chaste?"

Blood left her face.

"I... I beg your pardon,"  she tried to pull away, but he held her steadfast in his hold.

With a satisfying exhalation of breath, he continued. "Now if I am not mistaken, O'Shae left Tortuga with a pardon that can easily be revoked."

His words threatened her composure. But, boldly she looked up to his face.  "What does his pardon have to do with me?"  He continued to gaze at her unmoved by her growing anger. His eyes flickered and she nervously waited for his response.

"He compromised you and that cannot go unpunished."

A Rush of air escaped her. "You cannot do that, He did not harm me," she argued.

"True, but he ruined you," he whispered with a grim stare.

Silence lingered between them for a while. Their gazes locked in a heated challenge.
"Whether I am ruined or not that is not your concern," she clipped.