Chapter 29

The grey clouded sky matched her mood as she sat back with a high level of nervous anticipation rolling through London's crowded streets.  The coal-tinged air choked the view of the sun giving her little light to see beyond the window.

The attempt to stave off the sudden tears that flooded her vision, failed when they finally had gotten closer to her home. Her home.

Or what she could remember of it.

Dusk had broken the sky the moment they turned into her parents' drive and rolled up the estate's cobbled walkway. Despite the dark, dingy city they were in, the house still held an appealing quality. It was clear of debris although somewhat still had its stately appearance like the rest in the area.

The hackney halted to a slow stop at the front door and a young-looking footman exited to greet the driver. A second had passed before the door to the Hackney had slowly opened. She slid slowly over and reached for the footman's hand and was drawn out and helped out.

Slowly she looked up then as the front door swung open only to hear the familiar baritone voice call her name.

"Tempest? My sweet darling Tempest," her father cried.

She stood rigid to the spot as the burly Admiral filled the doorframe with his presence and held her gaze with joy and tears. Slowly she stepped forward and soon was in a quick step until she flew into his arms.

"Oh, my sweet child, I thought the worst," he whispered with a choked sob. She broke down in tears in his arms and hugged him tightly. Quickly he pulled back and held her at arm's length and held her cheeks in his warm palms.

"Did they hurt you?" his voice shook as he frantically searched her gaze.

She shook her head with a sob. She opened her mouth to say something but was cut short.

"Harold, there is no time for such questions at the entrance door. The last thing we need is for her predicament to end up in the news columns." the harsh female voice sent shivers of anticipation and dread down Tempest's spine.

She watched her father's eyes darken slightly with annoyance but just as quickly lit up as he smiled down at her. "Don't keep her to yourself, love. Come here and hug me, darling," her mother demanded.

The secure embrace of her father reluctantly fell away as he slowly stepped aside and turned with Tempest to face her mother.

She stepped forward through the door and into the foyer, where she greeted the tall woman that gave her life.

"Hello, Mother," Tempest clenched her fingers to hide their trembling as she walked closer to her.

She observed her with hidden weariness.

Her mother's dark brown hair was now covered with a powdered wig. Her face had grown prominent and stern with very few telltale signs of aging except for the smile line by her eyes. She seemed taller than Tempest remembered. Slimmer and regal, despite her aggressive look and the curl to her aristocratic nose. All the same, she still was beautiful.

Cool, clammy hands reached for hers and pulled her close before caressing her cheek. 

"You are finally home," her mother smiled. With rigid unease, she lowered her powdered cheek to Tempests in quick air of a salute and false affection as if they had seen each other days ago for tea. When in fact it had been years.

Her gaze blurred with unshed tears. No embrace? She thought. There was no motherly warmth or concern in those cool eyes that held hers. Tempest was disappointingly not amazed for she too suddenly straightened her back and faced her mother with the same pose.

"Very good then. Let us get you inside, my child. We have much to discuss," her mother turned away.

"She needs to rest and get settled," her father gently approached her and placed his arm around her.

Her mother stopped. Her shoulders froze. She whirled around to glare at her father. But stood there in silence as he continued.

"She suffered an ordeal. Now is not the time for anything else but to let her rest," he demanded.

"Ordeal?" she scoffed. "She would not have been in such an ordeal if you had not taken her to that...savage island," she stepped closer angrily towards them.

She trembled in his hold. Savage island.?
"She wanted to be with me," he stepped closer.

She was now in the presence of her mother and father's marital dispute and felt so ashamed and saddened by it.

"You preferred the damnable Tea parties and evening socials than to raise her. She needed a loving mother. You were not such. Therefore, it was best for her to come with Josephine and be in my care," He boomed.

Her head lowered. Josephine.
Now she felt alone. More now than ever. She would never see her nana again. She will be four months without Justin. How will she do it?
She needed him now more than anything.

"If you had not raised her to be headstrong and willful-"

"Stop it! Please?" Tempest cried out.

She covered her ears and tightened her eyes shut.  Tempest spun away from them and ran to the door, swung it open and stepped out for air on the front lawn so quickly her vision swam.

"Tempest, what is wrong?" her Father caught her as she swayed.

"Air. I need air," she inhaled deeply, but the sooty flakes in the air around her were all she had that she choked a cough.

"Quick, get her water," he demanded.

Water? That was not enough. She shook her head. She needed to go back. She needed the sea. She needed him.

"Papa," she sobbed as he quickly held her to him.

She could hear her mother's protests ordering her father to bring her inside.

Their voices grew distant as they continued to argue as heat overtook her then. She could no longer speak, no longer breathe. She was dizzy... gasping... fading...

I will come back for you in 4 months. He whispered.

Her legs crumbled beneath her as blackness engulfed her.

******
Well, isn't that a nice welcome home?😞😞😞😞😉😂

Stay tuned.
Want an early post of the next 2 upcoming juicy chapters today???
All you have to do is:

Share my story on Twitter
@pitufina8177
#JustinandTempest4ever
My first 10 shares...my chapter will be dedicated to you...

Love y'all....