Chapter 31

Astonished eyes filled with awe and shock as if seeing the dead come back to life, stared at him as he sat at his desk.

Justin sat patiently silent as the familiar old eyes of Hugh, his father and his uncle's solicitor; sat before him, turning pale and lighter as the minutes passed.

"Breathe, Hugh," Justin sighed sitting straight in his chair to face the man who held the key to both his future and his past. Literally.

He watched as Hugh swallowed a few times before withdrawing a cloth from his coat pocket to dab at the beads of sweat on his forehead.
"I...I thought you were....," he began.

"But you're... ," he slouched in his chair sucking in deep breaths.

Deep down he understood Hugh's shock. He understood what he witnessed was not easy but knew well not to say a word.

"I thought Cuthbert killed you as well," Hugh looked up sadly at Justin.

"The bastard didn't have the heart. Ironic as it may seem," Justin scoffed before looking away from Hugh.

He felt in some way at fault for all that happened the day Cuthburt killed his uncle. He was supposed to return to Cuthburt to avoid all that happened. But the desire for revenge surpassed reason. He left Cuthburt and his crew in the dead of the night stealing something that belonged to him. Something he discovered that held secrets that included him.

But now that he has returned and Cuthburt was no longer a threat, he intends to find out what those secrets are.

The sudden oath and noise coming from the halls pulled him to the present as he and Hugh turned to watch Bellamy and Big John hauling a large chest into the study. Their eyes landed on the weathered box covered with sand and mud as it was unceremoniously dropped before him.

Slowly Justin stood and walked around the desk to kneel before it. His hand quickly shot up to test the rusty lock that kept it closed.

He turned then to Hugh. With an expectant silent gaze, Justin extended his hand; waiting for Hugh to retrieve the key. The key he stole from Cuthburt one that he long ago ordered Hugh to guard with his life.

Frantically, the solicitor searched in his desk drawer and pulled it out then handed it over to Justin.

They stood by and watched him kneel before the chest and slowly unlocked it.  With one quick shove, the lid was lifted and was tossed open with wet dirt flying everywhere. His eyes lowered over all of its contents. 

Parchments, letters, and scrolls lie on a heap of Rubies, Diamonds and Gold coins. He scoffed with a grin as he heard his men behind him whistle then poor Hugh breathlessly whisper 'Sweet Mother of Jesus.'

Justin stared briefly at the fruits of Cuthburts pillaging labor. One he killed to keep from him. He frowned. Why kill for this if he had dozens if not hundreds of these below in his ship? He favored only this one.

Perplexed and wary with his thoughts, he pulled the bundle of letters nestled between the coins and brought it up to look at the writing. He pulled the first letter from the top with Cuthburts name. He opened it not at all feeling wrong for the invasion of his privacy. And with good measure, he should not ...because the letter was written about him.

His heart slammed in his chest as he read it slowly and suddenly noticed its what could have been instructions for his murder.

His throat tightened with the plot written out clearly to have him disappeared so he could not inherit anything from his father. He was just a boy. Bile rose slowly in his throat with each word ordering Cuthburt to make him disappear far out at sea. To be tossed overboard.