Chapter 57

She stepped into the sitting room with its newly upholstered chairs and draperies. The homie setting left a bitter taste in her mouth. This place never felt like home for her.

She followed her father in and stopped long enough to take in the photos of her mother near the mantle. She wondered then, who really posed for those portraits?

The space of the sitting room suddenly felt small when everyone entered. The silence that followed was deafening until one of the servants entered.

"Admiral there are carriages..." Sophie paused entering the sitting room and stumbled back some surprise.

Her eyes widened and the color from her face slowly drained as she looked at Tempest then at Justin.

"Mistress!" Her voice shook.

Justin pinned her with a cold observant gaze. He recognized her.

"Lass, don't just stand there. Get us something to drink, " the Coronal broke the silence stepping forward and rushing her out of the room.

Some time had passed before the Admiral finally spoke up and looked at Tempest.
He reached for her and pulled her close to stand before him.
"Tell me what all of this is about." He urged glancing up at the two guards flanked by the magistrate.

"Why is my grandson not with you?" The admiral added.

Tempest turned to look at Justin then faced her father with a

"Please, Papa,  " she began but stopped as a familiar voice floated from the hall.

"My love, do we have guests? There are...carriages, " Her mother, or better yet. Her aunt. Paused to a stop in shock before them all accompanied by Haines at her side.

Everyone in the room turned to face them.

"My love, " her father beamed stepping forward to stand before her aunt.
He gently approached her and pulled her towards Tempest.

Stiffly, Lucinda followed.

Cool unforgiving aquamarine eyes met hers as she was pulled by the Admiral to stand before Tempest.

"What are you standing there for Lieutenant? come greet your wife, " The Admiral said.

An eerie silence fell over them as Justin's dark gaze landed on him and followed him as he slowly made his way towards Tempest.

She faced him as he slowly approached her. A mixture of anger and apprehension was evident in his eyes as he looked across the room at Justin then turned to settle his eyes on her.

She felt disgusted the moment he awkwardly pulled her close and hugged her. Repulsion and hate coiled through her as his lips brushed the side of her temple.

"Wife, " he murmured darkly near her ear.

His hold on her was unbearable.
"I see you are well, " he added leaning back and caressing her cheek then slowly looked over at Justin with a menacing smile.

She abruptly pulled away from him. Her father frowned at the little display of disdain from Tempest to the Lieutenant.

"Papa, " Tempest began again. She ignored Haines at her side to face her father.

"There is something you should know," She whispered softly and held his hand.

Impatiently, he waited for her to continue.

"Darling, why don't I get these fine guests some refreshments, " Lucinda interrupted.

Nervously, she smiled and jerkily began to step away.
"You are not going anywhere, " Justin said immediately.