Chapter 32

Tempest sat ramrod straight swathed in lace and silk on her chair in a garden humming and twirling with feminine laughter. She felt alone, out of place, and utterly miserable but dared not show it as her mother sat at her side.

Her first week was rather slow starting. Tempest entered the social world of the demimonde with light entertainment such as afternoon teas and garden parties here and there. Soon there were shopping excursions, walks in the park, and drives down to the Promenade which as her mother eloquently put it: would prepare her for her first ball.

It was the 3rd tea party she has attended. It was a go-to gathering hosted by Lady Hasburgh, the tons most influential socialite. Her thoughts had long ago drifted off since she sat at the table, decorously flooded with fine dinnerware filled with tea and crumpets.

She often thought of Justin. Her mind was battered by the memory of being with him on the floating Vengeance, together in his cabin; in each other's arms. She would trade all of the refinery and social events for a chance to be with him out on the open Sea. The days nearing until they would meet again seemed torturous.

A breathy whisper interrupted her reverie. " I feared the most for that poor girl all alone on that ship with those pirates." A female voice said. Lady Dabney soon interrupted. " I faint to think what she must have endured being in the company of those--." she paused for dramatic effect. "heathens."
Soon the table erupted with a collective buzz of gasps and whispers.

"I do say, Lady Fontaine, you are taking the horror of your daughter's abduction with a surprising calm," All eyes veered towards her mother. Some accusing glances softened with pity, and traveled towards her, making her extremely uncomfortable.

With an icy poise, her mother aimed her gaze at the voice over her table and tilted her chin up. "I can assure you that is the case, but I cannot go around simpering like a spineless ninny for something that is out of my control. What is important is that my Tempest is back and unharmed."

"Unharmed? Don't you mean untouched? After two months unchaperoned? I doubt it,"
Lady Dabney scoffed.

Tempest stiffened.

She watched as her mother brought her feathered fan up and relaxed with ease as the women uncomfortably shifted in their chairs at the insinuating question. The sparkle in her gaze became calculating and brimmed with a knowing smile.

"Are you questioning my daughter's virtue, Constance? Because if you are, I believe you need to check your own garden and put order amongst your own tulip before gazing at mine," her mother's smile barely reached her eyes as her gaze settled on Lucy, Lady Dabney's daughter.

The gasps and whispers grew as all eyes widened and mouths hung agape. Lady Dabney fumed and immediately stood. "How dare you?"

With a regal air, her mother stood slowly to face the pompous woman that in reality was beneath them in social standing.
"Oh! How I dare?" her mother began. "I will not standby and have my daughter's image be besmirched by a jealous pasty-faced harpy that cannot control her own light skirted daughter."

Tempest gasped and the women around her followed. 

"What?....," Her mother scoffed. "Did you think none would find out about the slight slip up in the park where she was found in a compromising position with Lord Averly up her skirt?"

The vulgar meaning was clear as a day.

Tempest watched the color drain from Lady Dabney's face. A slow sliver of guilt washed over Tempest. She truly was no better than Lucy. She was willing in the most compromising position with Justin. And he is a pirate.