Chapter 50

Aboard one of her father's ships, she stood alone on the deck staring out at sea.
It would be nearly 2 weeks since they pulled away from London's port with a handful of the ship's crew to set sail for Tortuga where Haines was to be stationed.

She said nothing as she walked the plank and was greeted by some of the crewmen that have been under her father's command since she was a young girl. Coy smiles soon turned solemn as she passed them by without a word as she made her way towards her father's Captains quarters.

She won the venomous silent war with Haines as he would deposit himself elsewhere because she wasn't sharing it with him.

As the days passed, she anxiously waited to see the outlining of the island. The rumors of the Black Scourge visiting the island months ago had died down to mere hearsay. But she was determined to find him.

She would listen to the men speak of the distance they are from the island according to the maps and Haines instructions as they sailed on the dark waters.  It won't be for another 2 and a half weeks before they reach the island. If the weather permits it.

With that, she settled somberly into a daily routine of keeping to herself and staying away from Haines.

But, it wasn't until in the early hours, somewhere between midnight and dawn,  after the crew had taken to celebrating, that an inebriated Haines forced his way into her quarters, that she was finally fed up.

In his bouts of rage and demand for her to perform her wifely duties willingly, he stood furiously facing the tip of a sharp letter opener.

"Either you willingly leave with your manhood intact, or..." She hissed backing him towards the door.

"Or what? You insolent bi-" he growled out furiously before she cut him off.

"Mind your tongue, " she pressed the blade beneath his chin into his Adam's apple.

The silence surrounding them was a deafening reminder of just how loud her own heart thumped in her ears with fear that he could easily gain the upper hand and take it from her.

She tightened her grip and nudged her head towards the door.

"Leave!"

Taking furious breaths in defeat, his jaw clenched as he fumbled against the wall for support and reached for the door.

She watched attentively as he yanked it open and once again like so many months ago, she slammed the door shut and quickly tossed the blade down and grabbed a nearby chair, and placed it against the door.

Angrily, she paced now wide awake. She needed to get off of this ship or she will end up swinging from the gallows for killing Haines. She needed to do something.

She dropped to her bed in defeat with what to do. Her eyes wandered about the familiar confines of the cabin; lost in her thoughts until her eyes landed on a large trunk in the corner.

Slowly she stood and walked to it and dropped to her knees before it. Covered in dust from no use she blew some of it away and pulled the latch-up then she opened it.

Inside, she reached for an old Navy jacket that belonged to her father and breeches. Some maps, a compass, and then finally at the bottom...a flintlock...

She slumped on her rump in awe of the fairly new wooden weapon that was now her salvation. Carefully she twirled it around in hand looking at it. It was nothing compared to what her grandfather had taught her to shoot as a young girl...but it will do.

"Indeed it will." She dashed away a fallen tear as she abruptly stood and searched for gunpowder and shots.

By the time it was daybreak, Tempest with sure steps made her way above deck where she demanded to know where Haines was.

At gunpoint, the sailor paled and stuttered pointing to the rear end of the ship. One by one the crewman stood wide-eyed in shock as she ordered him to lead the way to the Lieutenant.

The surrealness of it all had her sweating but she would not be deterred. They made their way in the swaying ship towards the back where Haines lay passed out on a coil of rope.

At a loss of what to do, the young crewman in fear turned to her and stared nervously at the gun.

"Wake him, " she clenched her jaw wagging the pistol.

With caution her pistol followed him, she watched his jerky movements as he walked to a nearby barrel filled with water and a bucket. The men stood by dazed and confused as the man tossed water on the lieutenant.

Sputtering and gasping with a curse, Haines sat up abruptly wiping his face. Glossy red unfocused eyes landed on the sailor that held the bucket. With a fearful look, he lowered his gaze before pointing sheepishly to her.

The angry glare from his face fell away the moment she cocked the flintlock and aimed it at his face.

"Good morning, husband. Care to go for a little swim?"

****

The morning sun was high above their heads as they stood watching everything unfold before them.

"Don't just stand there you imbeciles, get her!" Haines shouted furiously.

"I have plenty of shots in here for 4 foolish heroes. If any of you move, your lieutenant loses an eye." She pressed the cold brass tip to his face in a warning.

"You won't get away with this, " he hissed.

"Yes I will, I've endured your mistreatment for far too long. I'm done! " her voice shook with anger.

All stood around with expressionless glances as she spewed the last of his mistreatment towards her out in the open for them all to hear.

"Would anyone like to join him? Feel free to come forward and do so." She withdrew her dagger as she stepped close to the ropes that held a small dinghy.

"You can't do this."

"I can. This ship is my father's. Therefore it is mine."

With those last words, she slashed the rope and they watched the small boat drop to the rough water below where it capsized and a sputtering Haines surfaced shouting and cursing.

"M-mmmy lady, are you truly going to leave him in the water like this?" The sailor asked with a horrified expression on his face.

"Yes..." She turned walking away from him. "Pray that the tides have more mercy on him than he deserves." She continued on; shouting orders to lift the sails as they parted the way for her.

"I have a pirate to catch."

********
😱😱😱😱😱

Finally I'm back...i may have to edit this and flesh it out more but here you go...
Tell me what you think...
And please comment something other than update, please...
I'm aware that I have to update.