Fire!

Chapter One.

Knock Knock.

The soft taps on the door is what woke me up from my nap. I yawned and sat up stretching my arms over my head I get out of the bed. And I walked to the mirror and put my hair up in a ponytail.

Knock Knock.

"I'm coming, I'm coming" I yelled as I ran down the stairs. I open the door to see my best friend Sabrina Phillips. She has blonde wavy hair, blue eyes and tan skin, she's beautiful.

"Hey what's up" I said. She smiled and said. "I thought we could go for a ride?". "Sure just let me go get my boots on" I said. "Okay meet me at the barn" she said. I nodded and she walked out.

Okay now time to tell you a little about my self. My name is Josephine Williams. I'm 15 years old, I have brown wavy hair, brown eyes, I'm average weight 100 pounds, I'm 5'2, pale but with a tint of tan. Now I'm not like most girls. I'm not boy crazy. I'm horse crazy. While other girls are spending all they're time with boys and going on dates. I'm here spending all my time with horses. I love horses. So you get the point I'm not a big fan of boys. Not saying I hate them or anything but I just rather be with horses than boys.

"Hey sweetie" My mom said as I came downstairs. "Hey mom" I said. "Are you going riding?" she asked. "Yup" I said popping the "p". "Be careful" she said.

My mom has auburn wavy hair, hazel eyes unlike me. I got all my looks from my dad. I walked out of the house and headed towards the barn. Where all the horses are. I entered the barn to see that Sabrina had Stardust in cross-ties grooming her.

"Hey Stardust" I whispered stroking the mare on her nose. Sabrina poked her head to the side to look at me. "Hey again" she said then giggled. I laughed with her and said. "Hey". Then went to go get me a horse.

"Hmm, who shall I ride?" I said out loud. At the sound of my voice. Midnights Clock "Midnight" for short perked right up and nuzzled me. Midnight is a black horse, with one white star on his forehead.

"Hey boy" I said as I walked into his stall. I put the halter on and led him out to the cross-ties. Where I started to groom him. In less than ten minutes I had groomed and tacked him up.

"Are you ready?" I asked Sabrina. She shook her head, she was putting the bridle on. She's a bit slower than I am but that's okay she likes to take her time.

"Okay I'm ready" she said. I nodded and we both walked out of the barn. We put our helmets on and got on after we had tightened our girths. We started on one of my favorite trails once we had settled in the saddles.

"So are you doing the horse show this weekend?" Sabrina asked when we were headed back towards the barn.

"No" I said. "Why not?" She asked. "Because, we need more practice, before entering a show" I said. "Oh, well I'll miss you" She said. "Me too" I said with a smile.

By the time we neared the barn again. It was dark and I could smell something in the air. Smoke?. And that's when I saw the orange flames.

Smoke?, Orange flames?.

Then the realization hit me.

"Oh no" I said and squeezed Midnight who took off cantering when he felt the light touch of my heel on his side, towards the barn. "Josie Josie" Sabrina yelled and kicked her horse running after me.

When I saw the barn. I gasped. The barn was up in flames.

As soon as we got close enough to the barn, I jumped off Midnight. And tied him to a tree, far away from the fire. Then I bolted into the barn. I coughed as the smoke filled my nose. I blinked rapidly, the smoke not only burned my nose, but my eyes. I held a hand over my nose and ran to Clover's stall. Avoiding the crackling flames of fire. I got Clover and Rainbow out, and lead them out of the barn.

When I came out of the barn leading the horses, my mom ran over to me and hugged me tightly sighing in relief. Then she pulled back and looked at me sternly. " Do not go back in there understood" she said. "But mom they're horses in there" I said. " I know hun I'm handling that" she said. I nodded. But then I heard the ear piercing screams of the horses. I can't just stand here and do nothing and let them die. I have to do something. So I made sure no one was looking and I bolted back into the barn. The flames were even worse than before they were bigger and growing rapidly. I coughed as the smoke filled my lungs.

"Josephine" I heard someone scream but I ignored it. And ran over to a horses stall I put my hand on the latch. And that's when I heard crackling above me, I looked up to see a piece of wood was about to fall from the ceiling and onto me. If I didn't move it was going to collapse on me. My eyes widen in panic and I moved to run but I wasn't fast enough, and the wood came crashing down on top of me.

I screamed as it came crashing down on top of me. I coughed and tried to move it off of me, but it was no use it was to big and heavy. I heard a scream and looked up to see my mom. She ran in and looked around when she spotted me she sighed in relief.. "Josie thank goodness your okay" she said in relief as she made her way towards me, but before she could get to me another beam of wood came crashing down on top of her and it was much bigger than the beam of wood on me. She screamed.

"MOM!! I screamed "MOM" I screamed again. "Josie" she coughed out. "I'm sorry" I cried feeling guilty. "Ssh, someone will find us baby" she said. I nodded and that's when I heard more crackling. I looked up just as a piece of wood fell right on my head it was not that big but big enough to cause a concussion. I screamed and tried to get it off but I couldn't do it, I tried again and got it off this time. I felt my head with my hand, I saw blood.

Suddenly everything started to get blurry I knew it was only a matter of time before I blacked out. I heard siren's and I saw my dad and a couple firemen rush in, one of the firemen came over to me and lifted the log off of me. My dad walked over to me with tears in his eyes and a clenched jaw. That was the last thing I saw before I blacked out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Edited Version- Chapter one.