Chapter 1: Coincidence

My mind was an abyss of confusion and in it I was free falling amidst images of the night before. His face, his touch, his bite. Just thinking about it brought my hand up to my neck but there was no bite mark, just a small bruise. The images were so vivid I found it hard to believe that I had imagined them.

That only made my head hurt more and I cursed myself inwardly for having an alcoholic drink. Suffering from a hangover was not my idea of enjoying the last free day before school started. The overriding guilt I felt was lingering over my head like a black cloud as I sat next to my unknowing parents. They lounged beside me comfortably, so utterly ignorant to the fact that their daughter had gone to a bar last night. 

We were in the living room watching the news but my mind was else where as the newscaster reported on the economic situation of the country but when they started talking about the annual death rate my eyes shot up. Death had a way of catching everyone's interest no matter how preoccupied they were.

"Ms Sally Morden, aged 34, worked as a sales consultant at Mac was found dead two nights ago in the bathroom of a gas station. As suspected the cause of death has been confirmed as suicide although the location of death still raises many questions."

The reporters lips pursed and her face visibly tightened before she continued. It was obvious she was uncomfortable with the topic, either that or she was faking empathy and failing miserably at it. 

"This makes it the fifteenth suicide case reported this month in the state alone, a 5% increase from last month. Based on current events the annual death rate is expected to go up by 10% this year. A whooping 5% of it due to suicides alone."

I rested my head in my hands and let my shoulders carry all the weight to my knees. This was getting interesting.

"Although alarming, this piece of news does not come as a surprise. The number of suicide cases have been increasing steadily for the past decade. The leading cause: Depression. The rate of diagnosed depression cases have increased by 40% worldwide in the past decade making it the leading cause of death this year knocking heart disease and cancer off their top spots," a male newscaster now responded.

"If this isn't cause for concern I don't know what is, Reston," the lady responded. "Although the primary cause has not yet been identified. There are a number of factors that are being considered. For now we urge anyone with suicidal tendencies to please call the national suicide hotline number given below and to seek professional help if you feel you are suffering from depression or know someone who is."

"This is so morbid. Can we change the channel please?" My mother complained whilst she stroked my hair gently. 

"Don't you find it convenient how they left out the murders reported in the city?" my dad muttered not making any effort in changing the channel.

"One murder Jared." My mother countered. "And it's already been reported. Now can you please change the damn channel." She reached over and attempted to grab the remote from my father but he held his hand out instead, out of her reach. 

I was caught in between the squabble with my father on my left and my mother on my right. Sometimes I wondered who the child was in this household. Lately they'd been arguing a lot but I never thought anything of it. All parents fought, didn't they?

I leaned back to give them space and looked out the window at the horrid weather. The rain pelted mercilessly against the glass, I could hear it beating down on the rooftop. All I could see was a mixture of dark and gloomy shades of grey between the droplets of water. My mind filled with a mixture of death and blood. 

***

I walked up the steps to the all too familiar building before me. The once white walls, now faded an uneven grey. Feeling halfhearted, I got out of my mothers Ford and waved at her before I made my way up the stairs to the entrance.