Chapter 34: Getting Comfortable

I was about to fall over when I felt Zayn's hand wrap itself around my arm and pull me back. I held my stomach and tried to clear my head but it was useless. The putrid smell of vomit lingered around us, not helping with the nausea at all. Just a whiff of it was enough to make me lean over again but nothing came out.

"I think we should go," Zayn pulled me further away from the window.

I managed to steal a glance before leaving and I saw my dad walking towards the window. He then pulled the curtains shut so that my view was now completely blocked. Not that it mattered anyway because we were already walking away and I'd gotten the proof that I needed.

It still made me sick though, thinking about what was about to happen behind those curtains. In my state of dizziness I stumbled behind Zayn and forced my mind to block out such images. Instead I focused on the back of his head and how his hair gleamed in the moonlight.

"The pictures?" I mumbled suddenly realizing that I didn't have them with me anymore. 

"I have them," He said as we walked down the stairs and speed walked to the car. 

Once we got inside he immediately started the car and sped down the gravel road. When we reached the freeway he glanced over at me nervously. 

"You okay?"

"I'm great. Never felt better," I muttered. At the moment all the street lights blurred together and Zayn looked like he had grown two heads. The aftertaste of vomit lingered in my mouth and I was pretty sure my breath was stinking.

I turned towards him only to catch him smiling to himself. 

"Why are you smiling like that?" I frowned.

My frown deepened when he took out a handkerchief and placed it over my mouth but I held on to it, suddenly feeling very self conscious about my breath.

"Nothing. It's nothing," He replied, still smiling like an idiot.

"Tell me," I demanded through his black handkerchief. 

"You're just very entertaining. You didn't have to drink all those whiskey shots, you know. Now look at you."

"I just needed some liquid courage," I defended but that only made him laugh out loud.

"Liquid courage," He imitated me and I punched his shoulder. He caught my hand before I could retract it and then placed it over my mouth. "I think you should cover your mouth with both hands, my heightened senses can't take the smell."

"Like you've never thrown up before," I grumbled. "I'm sure you were human once, right?" When he didn't respond I glanced over at him only to see a glazed look in his eyes. 

"Right?" I repeated myself and he seemed to snap out of his daze.

"Yeah, I guess I was," He finally responded.

"You guess?" I looked at him incredulously. 

"It was a really long time ago. It's all a blur now."

"How long ago? How long have you been alive? Or should I say existing since you're technically not alive, are you?" I asked. Surprisingly I felt more curious than nauseous now. Zayn was right when he said he could be my distraction. I suddenly found him extremely interesting. 

"Who turned you into a vampire?" I asked again.

He stared at me with an amused expression on his face. "Slow down Rosalie. Take a minute to catch your breath although I must admit I've always found your rambling extremely adorable. If you didn't smell like vomit I would kiss you right now."