Chapter 71: Schizophrenic Conversations

I pressed the pedal harder and the car jerked forward in response. I wasn't used to driving a stick shift and after the engine died at least six times I had finally gotten the hang of it but it still wasted time I didn't have.

Judging by the wide lanes and the occasional speeding car in the dead of the night, I could tell I was on the freeway. I squinted at the turn off that said Riverton and turned in but after a while of mindless driving I realized I was lost.

I wanted to scream but instead my hands balled into fists and pressed against my temples. What was wrong with me? I was usually good with directions. A rush of panic paralyzed me as I remembered Harry's face in the parking lot where I had stolen his car. 

The problem wasn't that I had stolen his car, in my current situation what I had done barely bothered me at all. I had merely borrowed it to save his life. Sounded legit to me but what iced my veins with pure fear was the fact that once they found out I wasn't at home, Harry would most likely guess where I was, or who to find. 

And that gave me less time than I already had and less time to get lost in the middle of a suburb I grew up in where I had practically memorized all the roads I had walked on. 

Realizing I was most likely to drive into a wall in my current state I pulled over to the side of the road to calm myself.

"Think Rosalie. You know these roads. You know where he lives."

A few seconds passed by and my breathing slowed slightly. I looked around trying to recognize the rows of houses on both sides. The road was familiar but I couldn't quite place it. I drove slowly this time, looking into each house hoping to find something that would ring a bell.

By the end of the road I concluded that my brain wasn't working and then I saw a dark road to my left with shop lots on one end and a large wrought iron fence on the other side. 

The graveyard.

I knew exactly where I was and blood thumped in my ears when I realized how close I was to Zayn's house. I parked the car by the side and got out quickly. Maybe if I left it here it would by me some time with Zayn. 

The gravel dug into my soles and my feet stung as I walked along the back alley I had once run through after breaking Zayn's window with a stone. Cold air stung my lungs and my chest hurt once I finally reached his house.

I looked up to see his house in complete darkness. Was he even inside waiting for me? Was I really going to kill him tonight? I couldn't help but feel this was all just some twisted plot to get me here and then he would finally kill me. It was Zayn we were talking about, things were never what they seemed when it came to him.

I hesitated slightly and panted loudly in front of the front porch. But then again I had made it all the way here, there was no going back now. I had to think of Harry. 

My feet felt ten times heavier as I walked right up to his door and turned the knob but it didn't budge. I didn't expect it to be locked but it was just like him to make this harder for me.

I shifted on my feet, pondering on what to do next when I felt a bulge protruding from the doormat under me. I lifted it up to see the silver laden stake, just as he promised. My hands shook as I picked it up and held it close to my side. This was really happening, he wasn't kidding about his promise. Now all I needed to do was get in, but from where?

I cursed at Zayn silently. 

There had to be another way in. Maybe a back door? I went around the back this time and sure enough there was a small back door painted black and camouflaging with the vines all over the walls.