Chapter 7: Competition

He stared at me with confusion written all over his face no doubt wondering who the hell I was and what I wanted. I wish I could say he recognized me, you know being my tormentor and all but it was blatantly obvious how blank he was when it came to me. 

How on earth could someone act so well? Even his eyes never betrayed him. I'd learned before that if you wanted to see if a person was lying or acting, just look into their eyes and the truth shall be revealed. The eyes were windows to a persons soul and looking into his made me realize something. This may not be the same Zayn who was harassing me. So what do I do now? I couldn't possibly accuse him of being vampire if I didn't know for sure. He would definitely think I was bat shit crazy. Damn it now I was back to square one.

He cleared his throat and stared at me awkwardly. Now that I was put on a spot I had no idea what to do. 

"Hey," I stuttered while my mind worked in overdrive trying to come up with something that wouldn't make me sound like a freak.

"I'm Rosalie. We have History together," I continued. The awkwardness that was growing between us was becoming short of unbearable. 

He smiled suddenly catching me off guard. "I know. We have lunch together. You're the girl who threw the volley ball at Harry." He chuckled softly and despite how embarrassed that statement made me feel, the sound of his voice made the corners of my mouth tilt up into a reluctant smile. 

This Zayn was miles sweeter than the one I was used to. But did that mean they were two completely different people? There was only one way to find out.

"It was an accident I swear," I defended but he didn't look like he believed me. "Anyhoo I just wanted to let you know that since you are new here, if you need any sort of help with anything I'd be happy to help." Anyhoo? Who the hell says anyhoo anymore? I mentally slapped myself for being so weird.

I must be about the hundredth girl in senior year here to offer him help but it was all I could think of. He must think of me as the biggest freak ever, waiting outside the boys bathroom just for that. I hoped he wasn't afraid of me. All I needed was to become friends with him and then maybe sooner or later I would find out something.

The sooner the better, I gulped at the thought of him in my room again.

He smiled genuinely. "That would be nice. I actually have English now, maybe we could walk together?"He offered.

Today was proving to be a really good day. "Perfect, I'm heading there too." I lead the way, thoroughly happy with my progress. His general amiability made it so much easier to talk to him, I wasn't afraid anymore and I knew just the right questions to ask. 

I opened my mouth ready to speak but it snapped shut when I caught a very jealous looking Aurora standing in front of us with her legs a hips width apart. She stood there with her arms crossed and her eyes narrowed looking like she was ready for war.

If that didn't put fear in me the sight of Amanda and a few other cheerleaders joining her side was enough to make my hands start shaking. Maybe walking with Zayn wasn't such a good idea after all.

"Hey girls," he waved at them nonchalantly. Either he was blind to the hatred in their eyes or he was ignoring it. 

They're expressions softened slightly at his greeting but they were quick to revert their gazes back to me.

"Hey Rosalie, don't you have somewhere else to be?" Aurora took a step forward, the threat rang loud and clear between those few words.

I opened my mouth to speak but shut it quickly out of instinct. I tried to be strong, I really did but this bunch of girls could be pretty intimidating when they wanted to be.