Chapter 17: Doubts

Don't worry I'm not mad. Just curious though, how did you know it was a he? I never told you it was a guy who got stabbed.

My body froze as I sucked in a breath, all the while staring at my phone with alarm bells ringing in my head. How could I have been so stupid? I was pretty sure my face began turning blue because my parents stopped talking and stared my way.

"Whats wrong Rosalie?" My mother asked looking concerned.

It was only then did I remember to exhale and then inhale again.

"Nothing," I mumbled whilst scrolling through my messages. I checked and then double checked, the realization that I'd just put my foot in my mouth slowly sinking in, it made me want to slap myself. What do I say now?

Just a guess.

It was a poor excuse but that would have to do for now. I clicked send and then looked up. My previously voracious appetite now non existent. My parents stared at me with wide questioning eyes but I ignored them, picking up my plate and heading to the kitchen.

"Doesn't look like nothing," my father pressed.

"Jake's coming later to pick up the car," I stated as I washed up. I quickly finished up and then practically ran upstairs not leaving any room for discussion.

Checking my phone I realized Jake never replied. Unable to sit down and think, I paced around the room. Panic settled in my nerves, it spread around my my body in a frenzy and then gathered in my head as my brain worked in overdrive.

I suppose over thinking was the worst solution to my problem but it was all I could do. Did Jake think I knew something? Did he think I stabbed Derek? Did Derek tell him I did?

Shit. Shit. Shit. None of the possibilities I could think of worked in my favor. The asshole nearly raped me but no one else knew that except Zayn the vampire. Who was going to believe me?

It took a while for exhaustion to kick in but it eventually did and I found myself sitting on the floor in the middle of my room just staring into space. Ever so often my hand would slide over the unlock button and I would check for a reply but there was nothing.

I don't know how long I sat there not bothering to look at the time. Jake was coming soon, it was inevitable and then I would have to lie again. I hated it. I hated having to bottle up everything and make up some bull shit story to everyone I knew only to have them second guess it.

The hiding and the secrecy was taking its toll on me. I could feel it weighing down on my chest, the guilt multiplying every time I had to come up with another fake story.

My phone buzzed in my hands and with shaking fingers I answered Jake's call.

"Hey I'm outside."

I quickly hung up and then ran down stairs and out the door before my parents beat me to it. The last thing I needed was for them to interrogate him.

"Hey Rosalie," Jake smiled as he got out of another car. I could see someone else sitting in the drivers seat and I guessed that to be his brother. He drove away leaving Jake here with me. He walked towards me and smiled politely but no amount of charm could hide how tired he looked.

"Hey," I said awkwardly. "Sorry about the car."

"Don't worry about it, just glad your home safe," He said and then he looked up at something behind me. "I need to ask you something." He mumbled.

I turned around to see my parents peeking from behind the window curtains, failing miserably at being inconspicuous. I rolled my eyes and gestured for him to walk further away.