Chapter 23: Catch Me If You Can

"I'm so proud of you Jared. You finally got the chief editor position you've been going on and on about for years," Mum gushed and then she daintily wiped the corner of her mouth with the napkin on her lap.

We were out at this extremely posh restaurant called La Italia in the city. Everything from the decor to its occupants just screamed luxury. Everyone here was impeccably dressed including my parents. 

My mother, Cassandra was wearing a floor length maroon colored halter neck dress with her hair up in a bun. She looked absolutely stunning today and her smile was utterly refreshing compared to all the other days I had seen her moping around the house.

Dad looked equally as dashing in his fitted black suit and red tie. The only thing that bothered me was the fact that his tie was the exact same color as the underwear I found under his desk at home. 

It was disturbing to think about your parents buying gifts like that for each other. It was even more disturbing to question if the gift was actually intended for my mother. Because after what happened last week I couldn't help but wonder if my father was actually seeing someone else.

I mean that thong seriously looked way too small for my mother. She wasn't fat but she definitely wasn't skinny either and that small piece of underwear was either a size 2 or 0. 

My dad was sitting right across from me so I couldn't avoid looking at it even if I wanted to. I looked up at his proud face and then quickly reverted my gaze back to my mother.

"Thanks sweetheart. I could not have done it without my two favorite ladies in the world," He smiled and gazed at my mother lovingly before kissing her on the cheek. My mother beamed and then she gave him a quick peck on the lips.

They were being so sweet it made me wonder about all the days they spent fighting prior to this. It surprised me that all it took was a good piece of news to make all of that go away. Or was it the present? Was my mum wearing it right now?

Yuck, I wanted to barf at the thought.

The bag wasn't under his table when we left the house. I know because I checked just before we did. So either he had given it to her by then or he'd stashed it somewhere less conspicuous.

I just had to know if that present was meant for her. The curiosity was eating at me the way termites devoured wood. 

"Yeah congratulations dad. You deserve it," I said and then I added, "Any celebratory gifts for your two favorite ladies?"

I tried to look hopeful but really all I was doing was watching the reaction on my mothers face like a hawk. I was looking for any tell tale signs that she had received a gift, happiness, shyness, or maybe embarrassment but her face remained as blank as LB's Math answer sheet after a pop quiz.

Yes, I used to watch LB a lot and he definitely sucked at Math. I used to sit behind him in class last year and every time I finished writing down all the answers I would peep at his just for the fun of it. His paper was always blank, it was a wonder how he'd managed to pass his finals.

My dad cleared his throat. "I thought this dinner would be the perfect gift to the both of you."

Bingo.

My mother nodded in response and took my reluctant hand in hers. "And this is more than enough sweetheart."

My hand slipped out of her grip and I concentrated on eating the salmon salad in front of me. I bit on some kale, chewing a little louder than necessary just to drown out their exchange of praises. 

They shot me curious looks and then they stopped talking. 

"Everything okay Rosalie?" Dad asked while he loosened the tie around his neck.