Chapter 38: Daydream

It took me awhile to get out of the car and walk into that same bar. Despite the upturn of events that occurred in school today, I was surprised to realize that I was not as confident as I thought I would be.

My heart felt heavy as I took a step towards Harry, who was waiting for me by the door. A vague feeling of anxiety washed over me as I tried to shake off the sense of foreboding that something bad was going to happen.

He pushed the door open and we walked in to see a fairly empty bar with the exception of a few old men hanging by the pool table.

This was real. Last night actually happened and I was finally going to prove it to someone other than myself. Why did I feel so nervous?

A feeling of trepidation settled in my stomach as I walked up to the booth we had sat in last night. 

I ran my fingers across the smooth hardwood table, each touch sending shock waves of memories through my mind.

Our game of truth and dare.

My dad walking in with Ms. Daisy.

My dad kissing Ms. Daisy and then leaving with her.

It was real, I had the picture to prove it. Now all I had to do was prove Zayn's existence but it just felt too easy to be true. Zayn was always ten steps ahead, why would it be any different now?

I looked around expecting to see no one here from last night. I half expected to be disappointed and to see no one I recognized but that wasn't what happened at all.

Instead my eyes locked with those of that same waitress who served us last night. I saw her eyes light up in realization when she saw me and that reaction made my heart hammer against my rib cage. 

She remembered me! Which obviously meant that she would remember Zayn too and judging by the way she was ogling him last night I was certain she did. 

She was wiping the counter top of the bar when I approached her. She stopped wiping once we were standing in front of her and looked up at us.

Her eyes shifted back and forth between Harry and I before she focused her gaze solely on me as her thin lips broke out into a smirk.

"Boy do you look like hell sweetheart. I don't suppose you came back for more?" She teased as she gestured at the vast array of alcohol behind her. Rows of whisky, vodka and God knows what else sat idly besides each other, stacked atop one another neatly on glass shelves.

A brief glance at the brown liquid was enough to make me nauseous and it didn't help that I had skipped lunch due to the whole Derek fiasco. 

I gulped loudly before responding. "Umm, no."

We both just stared at each other as awkward silence settled around the three of us. I spaced out as I watched her tap her foot on the floor and chew gum loudly as she waited for me to speak. I just stood there looking at her, momentarily at a loss for words until Harry finally nudged me, bringing me back to my senses.

"I need to ask you something," I said finally and she nodded her head.

"Do you remember seeing me with someone last night?" I cleared my throat but my voice came out small. It felt weird to be asking such a question. Usually people knew when they were out with someone and a third party wasn't necessary to confirm it. But then again my case was different.

She cocked her head to one side and her frown deepened. "See you with someone?" 

"Yes, you know a guy slightly taller than me. Dark hair, extremely good looking," I prodded and I could hear Harry scoff out loud when I mentioned the words good looking.