Chapter 4: Suspicions

My hands shook in anticipation with each step I took. The adrenaline high from the whole Harry fiasco lingered in my blood stream keeping me unsteady and on edge. Despite the fact that I was now approaching the forested area before me, the sound of my heart thumping in my ears took precedence over the sound of nature. 

The moment they disappeared into the deep, verdant green a few trees ahead of me I quickened my pace. My feet trampled atop the carpet of grass, each step regrettably conspicuous due to the crushing sound of dry leaves cracking beneath pressure. I didn't care and apparently neither did they, both seemingly oblivious to the world around them as Amanda lead Zayn deeper into the obscurity of brown and green leaves.

A few steps more and I could feel the absence of sun light on my skin. The uniformity of the frequently trimmed grass gave way to a more dense unkempt blanket of weeds and twigs. I had to be extra careful now not to make a sound.

My breathing slowed as I inhaled the fresh air around me. The faint sound of someone giggling not far away lead me to a small clearing. I hid behind the bark of a huge tree, my body pressed against it as I watched them from afar. 

Amanda sat down on the grass with her long legs stretched out before her. She had an air of confidence about her as she pulled Zayn down by the neck of his jersey. He let her lead him, his eyes lowered, his smile growing wider as she pulled him closer to her.

Those eyes. Were those the same eyes that begged me to let him into my room last night? So many questions swam through my mind. Every time I saw him they multiplied. They taunted me with their smug faces knowing I had no answers. 

I continued staring at his face hoping I would find some sort of piece to the growing puzzle but so far nothing. He leaned in, the distance between them diminishing which made my heart beat faster and then their lips touched. 

Normally I wasn't the type of person who would carry on watching especially since I had "apparently" kissed this same person just a few days ago. Situations like these made me uncomfortable but in his case I would make an exception. 

Standing my ground I watched as he fisted her hair, holding her head back tightly. She moaned loudly, letting him devour her neck with his kisses. I watched her hands grab hold of the grass around her, her eyes closed as he nibbled and sucked on tender flesh. 

It carried on longer than I expected and I could feel my heart drop in my chest as disappointment washed over me when all he did was kiss her neck before he moved back to her lips. I didn't see any fangs or blood like I'd expected and deep down in the pit of my stomach I could feel that seed of doubt growing. Was Zayn just a normal human being? Was everything just a figment of my imagination?

Slouching against the wood in defeat I inhaled deeply hoping the smell of fresh air would give me some clarity. My brain was in overdrive conjuring up any useful information I could have on vampires. Obviously there wasn't much, just those random things I picked up from the countless Dracula movies I've watched.

Then something clicked and I had a light bulb moment. I remembered watching a movie where the creature could not be seen in a mirror nor be recorded by a camera. It sounded pretty ridiculous but it was all I could go on for now. I just had to take a chance. 

A picture, that was all I needed. A video would be even better. Enough to incriminate that evil being before me. My eyes never left their faces as I my finger glided across the screen unlocking my phone but as I looked down for the camera icon a voice echoed from behind. I flinched at it's sharpness.

"What are you doing here?"

I looked up slowly knowing full well who that authoritative voice belonged to even though it was rarely ever used. As if it was always being saved for only special occasions. I never expected this to be one of them.