Chapter 12: Party Pooper

We stopped by a liquor store on the way to his house and I watched in astonishment as Jake sauntered in like he owned the place and bought around a dozen bottles of vodka and whiskey. Melanie and I sat in the car looking on with our nerves on edge as he produced his fake ID for the cashier to see. 

I don't think I would have been able to pull off that much confidence if I had been in his position and I wondered how many times he'd done this before. When I saw him hand a wad of cash to the cashier I gasped.

"How did he get all that money? Is he seriously gonna waste it all on booze?"

Mel simply chuckled and turned around to look at me from the passenger seat. "Of course it's not all his silly. Everyone chipped in and I heard the other guys are bringing more drinks later."

"How much can someone drink?" I exclaimed in wonder.

"Ro, from what I heard the place is going to be packed tonight. It's going to be awesome!" she placed her hands together and smiled at me excitedly.

"Where are his parents?" I just had to ask.

"His dad's gone overseas on a business trip and his mum's gone for some sort of spa vacation in the Bahamas."

"Wow, nice life," I said picturing Jake's mother lying on the beach somewhere with a margarita in hand.

"Tell me about it. Jake's dad is extremely loaded but he's hardly ever at home and his mother's always going for all kinds of vacations." Mel said with a dreamy look in her eyes. I could tell she was picturing his mother's vacation as well. Who wouldn't want a comfortable life like that?

"Doesn't he get lonely?" I watched as he collected his change and then proceeded to walk out of the store. 

"I suppose so but he has me now," she grinned and I had to resist rolling my eyes because she was still looking at me. "By the way Ro I need to ask you something really important."

"What is it?" I asked suddenly very curious. "Is it about your phone call during the game? Who was it?"

She stared at me in confusion and then sighed. "No not that. Something way more important--"

We were cut off by the sound of the door opening. 

"Here," Jake said handing me two huge bags of liquor bottles. 

I took them from him and then winced when I felt their full weight. Damn these things were heavy. Once we'd dumped them in the backseat next to me he walked in front and sat in the drivers seat. I could tell he was rushing to get out of here as he quickly backed out and drove away.

Looking back at Melanie I noticed she had turned away completely abandoning our conversation. Great Jake's timing was just perfect. Now all I could do was wait for the opportune moment for Melanie to tell me her big secret. 

What could be so important? And why couldn't she saying anything now that Jake was here, unless...unless it had something to do with him. Oh God the possibilities running through my head right now were definitely rated PG 13. I sincerely hoped Melanie hasn't done anything stupid.

Automatically my gaze fell upon Jake. Poor guy he must be really lonely with his parents missing all the time. No wonder he was so entrapped by Mel. She must be the only constant in his life at the moment. But that didn't mean he could take advantage of her. If he hurt my best friend I was definitely going to have a problem with him.

When we finally reached his house I was surprised to see the place already filled with Rivertoners. His lawn was crawling with excited students, most of them I recognized. As expected his contemporary styled home was huge. It looked extremely modern yet somehow inviting with its soft cream walls and grey colored window sills.