Chapter 66: Altered Memories

A shiver ran down my spine as I heard that familiar laugh in the hall downstairs. A laugh that used to bring the brightest of smiles to my face, a sound that could wash away all my worries and replace them with security.

Tonight that same laugh had quite the opposite effect. In fact when Melanie's laughter intermixed with that of the popular crowd I felt my skin burn and suddenly the cold air seemed to go up a few degrees. Either that or my skin was on fire.

I tried to reason with myself. Zayn could be lying like he usually did. It could all be just one of his stupid mind games which was entirely plausible but if history had taught me one thing it was that no matter how twisted he was, there was always a sliver of truth interwoven in his smooth fabric of words.

Everything he exposed to me before had been true. My father cheating on my mother. Mel leaving me for her new group of friends. Which was why I was so burned up I couldn't think straight.

Did Melanie lie about the night I first met Zayn? The night my whole life changed. But what I couldn't understand was why. Why would she do something like that?

I was going to make sure I got some answers tonight.

Mikaela's party was entirely different from Jake's last one. Hers seemed to only involve the more exclusive crowd in our school. There were also many people I didn't recognize, loitering by the stairs and hallways. They were all dressed in casual but expensive looking clothing which made me feel slightly overdressed as I rushed passed them.

From the corner of my eye I could make out several people look my way as I walked to the large dining room where Melanie and her friends were gathered.

Mikaela's dining hall could compare to the size of the entire ground floor of my house. A long oak table sat in the center occupying most of the room and all the walls were elegantly designed to fit various expensive looking china and wine glasses. Everything from the decor to the large crystal chandelier above screamed classy.

Which was why it was almost comical to see a group of teenagers huddled at one end with red paper cups arranged haphazardly on both ends, playing beer pong.

I assumed it was the girls against the guys because they had teamed up that way and Mel and Amanda shrieked in joy when Aurora carefully threw the small ping pong ball into the air and it landed in one of the cups. Finally something she could do that actually made people happy.

I walked in carefully, still wary of this poisonous group of people. How was I going to get Mel's attention without having to face Aurora?

It turned out I didn't have to do anything because Jake noticed me and by instinct Mel's head turned my way as well.

The smile on her face widened further as she saw me standing there.

"Ro! How was the ball? Did you have fun?" She immediately abandoned the game and rushed my way for a hug.

I remained stiff as she hugged me, ignoring the stink eye I was getting from Aurora. Oh, how oblivious Mel was. Couldn't she see how much Aurora hated me for all the attention Mikaela had been giving me. The fact that I had gone to the ball tonight and not her was yet another thorn in her side and Mel rubbing it in her face wasn't helping things at all.

"You look so crazy amazing!" Mel gushed as she finally released me. She took a step back and studied me, looking impressed. "I saw you on Tv. Harry and you looked so adorable together."

I bit my tongue, praying that she would just shut up. Behind her, Aurora looked like she was about to burst into flames. Her face had turned bright red at the mention of me being on television.