Chapter 51: Mania

"Mass hysteria?" I repeated Dr. Lecter's words.

Dr. Lecter leaned in looking as interested as I was with the topic. "Ever heard of the Salem Witch trials?"

I shook my head but remained silent as he continued.

"Throughout history there have been many episodes of inexplicable events that could only be deduced to mass hysteria. Take the Salem witch trials for example, only four young girls suffered from fits but by the end of the trials twenty five people were charged as witches."

"So? What does that have to do with the murders?" I asked impatiently. Was this guy for real or was he just full of shit? One thing's for sure he was certainly testing my patience.

"It's just a theory to be honest. I'm not familiar with each and every case but the current situation in our country does seem a little similar, don't you think?" Dr. Lecter smiled at me. "What started of as two suicides suddenly became five and now the rate increases monthly. The same goes for the murders."

"So what you're saying is..." I paused for a minute trying to wrap my head around his words. "That some of the suicides and murders were fake? Like the other twenty one so called witches?"

"They may not be fake but who's to say they weren't triggered by the ones before them?" He shook his head and shrugged his shoulders.

"But what if they aren't related to each other at all? What if there was another reason, something we're unaware of? Like a serial killer?"

Or a vampire.

Dr. Lecter simply scoffed at my answer. "It is inhumanly possible for one person to be responsible for a death rate of this magnitude. A few yes but not all. Why do you think so?"

"Umm, I don't know. I guess a few of the suicides followed similar patterns, you know? The victims claimed they were stalked and harassed before they took their own lives. It just doesn't make any sense. Why would they blame someone else if they were going to kill themselves?"

"So you think these victims were killed by a serial killer? One who stalks them and then kills them, making it look like a suicide?"

Bingo. Now all those credentials plastered over the wall in his waiting room made some sense.

Dr. Lecter rubbed his chin, seemingly deep in thought as he stared at me. "I suppose it is plausible for a few cases but that of course would be for the detectives and police to decide. I can only look at the psychological aspect of it."

"Of course," I nodded my head. Inside I was giving myself a mental high five for having proved a point to him.

"Although I must admit, I'm surprised at your choice of topic. Care to share why these stories interest you?"

"I.. just. I'm just interested that's all. It's all we ever hear in the news nowadays." I gulped as I tried to come up with an excuse.

"True. Do you feel unsafe because of it?"

"Yes. I mean, no. Sometimes."

"It's understandable to feel that way, Rosalie. Everyone should take precaution at a time like this."

The rest of our conversation proceeded as a struggle for him and a chore for me. He kept trying to get me to open up and I kept tuning him out. Honestly this was a waste of time for me. I could be out with Harry right now looking for Kareena, instead I was stuck here barely answering all his pointless questions.

Hows school? How are your friends? How are your teachers? How do you feel at home?

He sounded like one of my parents. How could someone ask so many questions despite being ignored? It must be a skill because I would have given up a long time ago.