Chapter 15: Honeybunch?

The wind had gone colder but Raven stayed still looking outside the terrace that night. It was past midnight and everyone was asleep. The moonlight played shades on her features as her thoughts wandered to the disturbing events - and to Carmela Villacorta.

'There must be someone. Someone she'd gotten close to. Someone who knew her more than anyone else in this place. Someone who'd lived with her or befriended her.'

She couldn't stop thinking about it even in the next days. She knew she had to be careful with her actions though. Her digging into Carmella's case could implicate her with the enemy.

But where could she possibly start without earning too much suspicion? She was walking along the corridor to her first class on the second floor when a signage caught her attention.

General Section Books/ Archives

Ah, yes. It's a long shot but she could start with the archives. It isn't too much but it could give her clues. Pictures... She uncrossed her arms on her chest as she entered their classroom to only stop in her tracks.

Several desks and chairs were scattered. A couple were even broken and a group of guys were standing around a bloodied body in the middle of the room. One of them had him on the collar. His face is a wreck and his clothes tattered. Blood were oozing down his nose and lips. A sickening punch landed on his jaw and he groaned in pain yet her classmates only gawked as if watching a live action film. Some guys even cheered on them.

The guy sneered at his prey. "You know I don't like nerds. Yet, somehow, you still show up in front of me."

The guy cowered yet his eyes is screaming with hate. "S-sorry. It won't happen again. I promise." 

"You better," he spat and smiled crookedly before releasing him. The guy dropped limply unto the floor like a sack of potatoes and bumped his head in the process. He doubled over in pain as he clutched his head.

The guy high-fived his friends as they laughed at his predicament.

All beaten and bloody, the boy struggled to sit up and was feeling around looking for something.

Pissed, she stalked towards him. The class quieted down and watched her. She just passed by him then bent down to retrieve something from the floor. 

She threw his glasses unto his lap, uncaring. "Hurry and clean yourself up before the teacher arrives," she said coldly and grabbed a chair to settle down. There were claps and a few giggles.

The boy replaced his glasses and stood on his feet unsteadily. He swayed for a moment as he grabbed on a chair to steady himself.

"Go on, nerd. Get your disgusting self out o'my sight," one of the guys taunted.

The boy didn't retaliate, he just limped slowly towards the door. His face contorted in pain and he was visibly shaking. His head hung low in defeat.

In a place like this, you have to be tough. You have to learn to defend yourself. Survival is everything. Show any weakness and they will feast on it like hungry pack of wolves. She remembered her own plight when she was younger. The bullying went too far one time that she got almost killed. They had set her up in an old, abandoned house on Halloween alone. Scared and helpless. She was only nine years old.

A scrape of chair beside her disturbed her thoughts.  A quiet strong scent of aftershave wafted towards her after and she scowled.

That blonde guy who had beaten the boy was seating beside her with a confident smirk on his face. "Sorry you have to witness that," he purred. Not looking sorry at all. "Mooncrest, right?"