Chapter 18: Protecting Raven

Cindy and her friends sat at the dinner table when Tasha walked by.

"Don't concern yourself too much with her Cindy. Just let her be," Zabrina chided when Cindy asked Tasha where Raven was to which Tasha just shrugged uncaringly.

"I don't think it's okay to leave Raven by herself," Denny voiced out. "She's attracting too much trouble."  

Sam snorted. "Exactly the point why we should let her be. She's too much trouble for everyone. Were almost out of here, Denny. We shouldn't get ourselves in any more trouble. We're almost free."

All eyes panned to him.

Yes, they've been through a lot and they've withstood it all. 

"I agree with Sam. She's not our responsibility. She just happens to be your roommate, Cindy. Doesn't mean she's your baggage."

Cindy shook her head. "I'm technically her Senior. I'm bound to feel responsible for everyone in my territory. Especially Raven. She'd been sheltered all her life. She's too innocent to be here. If you were in her place, I'd do the same for you."

"That's just crazy. I mean it's not like you owe her anything," Courney said. "And she chose to be here, Cindy. I don't believe she didn't have a choice. She did. She has her own fair share of wealth. Even made it to Forbes Wealthiest Heirs last year! If she wanted, she could have made a stop to his father's blunders. But she didn't. She chose to be here."

The others nodded. "She kinda have a point," Darv chimed in, nodding.

"I know but even then. It doesn't feel right with me."

Suddenly, the entrance door flew open and a student came rushing in panting in haste. "Newbie Shaming!" 

Hoots and calls followed as the students' excitement came over.

"Who?" Somebody yelled looking excited. 

He smiled broadly. "Raven Mooncrest!"

There was instant chaos. "Damn it!" Cindy cussed as she jumped out of her seat along with other students. Her friends trying to call her back.

A couple of tables away, Mason Mcgarrette jumped to his feet almost instantly. He ran faster than anyone out the door and to the field with two other guys.

Dread gripped him as he saw the circle of Fortich's gang by the darker side of the field under the array of the flowering Plumeria trees. The ground thudded with their footsteps as they neared the group. He saw Raven being gripped on the chin by Jessica, Deronovitchs sister.

Then suddenly, Raven was lunging a roundhouse slap at her causing her to topple over. Raven was a mess, she swayed on her feet too. He haven't seen blood on her though but then a raging Fortich faced her and swung his right hand towards Raven's cheek hard.

"Raven!" Mason yelled aghast as he ran faster. He saw her face flipped to the right and was falling to the ground limply. "Raven!" He yelled again as he was a few meters away. Her body thudded on the grass. He saw red as he rushed to him and knocked his face off.

Fortich was caught off-guard and tumbled to the ground. He immediately dropped beside Raven. Her hair strewn over her face as he gathered her in his arms. He felt for her pulse on her neck. It was weak and as his hand brushed on her forehead, she was burning hot with fever too.

Pushing off the hair covering her face, he whispered, "Hey wake up," and shook her a bit.

There was no response.

"Raven," he whispered but she didn't even twitch.

"Get her to the Infirmary fast!" 

He looked up to see Pajardo fending off Fortich again. He sent a sickening punch to Fortich's jaw and another one to his stomach that he doubled over. They were in the middle of the fight. Pajardo and Djablo were their fortress. They were excellent fighters. That's why they were delegated by Raven's father to protect her. Obviously, they have failed her or this wouldn't have happened.