XX.

I was unsure of what the response would be. I didn't know if it would be some bitch who answered the door threatening to kill me if I didn't go away, or if it would be some understanding widow who invited me in for lunch so he can talk about his problems.

My knock was shaky and quick, I swallowed the lump in my throat and let out a sigh before I heard heavy footsteps near the door.

When it opens, a man furrows his eyebrows and leans against the door way.

'Can I help you?'

'I hope so'

'M'kay, talk'

'I need a place to stay' I say 'I saw a flyer for this place a few miles back, so I figured I'd give it a shot'

He laughs 'You don't look like you've worked a day in your life-- you tryin' to change that?'

I purse my lips, tapping my foot on the wooden porch 'Something like that'

'Come in, kid, let's talk about the rules and regulations'

'Alright'

His house was nice. It was rustic, cozy, and warm. He had a fire going, and there had to be something roasting in the oven because it smelled delicious.

'Sit down' He orders, barking them up like he was a professional boss

'Okay'

Sitting down on one of his recliners, I fiddle my thumbs, looking down at my now dust covered shoes.

'First off, my name is Ryder Maddox' He says 'And I'm not puttin' up with any bullshit you may have built up'

He was an agitated man with some kind of terrible past that was clearly shining through, and that's probably one of the reasons he owns a ranch all by himself.

'You work, then you can eat' He sits down in front of me and scratches the heavy scruff on his face 'You don't work hard... then I guess you're out of luck'

'What's my job gonna be?'

'You'll cook, muck stalls, clean the horses, do laundry, and do store runs whenever I say so'

'So, I'm your housewife?'

'You've got an attitude that you're gonna lose on three'

'Or what? Are you gonna spank me, daddy?'

'One' When he stands up, I notice how tall he actually was, and that frightened me, so I just sat still and kept my head down 'Two... perfect'

He walks over to his coat rack and grabs a trucker cap before gently throwing it on, snapping to get my attention.

'You refer to me as sir and nothing else, understand?'

'Understood'

'Good' He nods 'Get those boots out of the closet, we've got horses to brush'