117

AN - Wattpad keeps on cutting my stories off midway for whatever reason, and at the moment it's ending at 'I really am old' part. Please note there's like another couple of thousand words after that if it does cut off lol. 

I decided to wait until Dan and Phil had finished with the meet-and-greets to go, hoping that I could catch one last glimpse of the pair before they were bundled off backstage. At a chorus of excited screams I stood, craning my neck to see over the sea of flower-crowns, only for my eyes to brush the top of their heads before they were gone.

Disappointed, I followed the mumbling horde of girls, intermittent chatter bouncing around my ears as I shuffled out and into the slowly descending night. Traffic sat along the road, headlights and taillights sending sheets of red along the pavement and across one side of my face. I looked up at the sky. It had stopped raining, but a thick blanket of clouds still rumbled slowly across, heavy with the possibility of another shower.

Not knowing what to do with myself in the half-hour or so before seating started, I decided to stop off at the nearby bubble tea place, grabbing my usual and then heading off to the park beside the theatre. Tall, slender gum trees sat like ghostly shadows along the ground, white trunks almost glowing in the muted, late-afternoon light, and crescent-moon leaves rustling in the breeze. I sat down on a bench beneath the outstretched arms of a tall tree I didn't know the name of, brushing the remnants of this morning's shower onto the grass.

Crossing my ankles beneath me, I stared out at the afternoon slowly bleeding into a night. I wondered how dinner would be with Dan. Like it would be anything but perfect, I thought to myself. I was more worried about my side of it. Knowing me, I'd inadvertently end up embarrassing both of us at multiple occasions throughout the night.

I was also looking forward to their show. I had absolutely no idea what to expect - going off both of their channels, it could be a number of things. I sipped my tea, tapping my feet on the ground.

I sent out a few tweets, along the lines of I just met the two most beautiful beans ever holy jesus and okay well now I can die happy, then noticed that it was practically time to head in. I chucked my tea in the bin and headed back over to the theatre.

I decided on a quick toilet break so I wouldn't have to go during the show, especially seeing that I'd just drunk 750ml of liquids and I have the bladder of an actual seven-year-old. As I was washing my hands, a group of younger girls huddled into the bathroom, and I couldn't help but feel them all looking at me. My cheeks flushed red as I ducked my head and hurried out the door, embarrassment tingling in my earlobes. It was probably nothing. But it still felt like something. I never liked being stared at. Not that anyone did.

Stop worrying, Meg, I told myself as I took the stairs up and into the main theatre area. You're about to see Dan and Phil live - and for an entire two or so hours.

I looked down at my ticket which I had clutched in my hands, peering at the door number between my fingers. I was up super close to the front seeing as I'd gotten VIP, and after being let through and finding my way to my seat, I realised I was much closer than I expected.

I was over to the left, next to a girl who couldn't be older than thirteen and another only a year or two younger than me. I smiled cordially at each of them as I awkwardly shuffled past, very cautious of not smashing my butt into the poor thirteen-year-old's face, and settled down into my seat with a big huff of air. I hadn't realised how tired or emotionally exhausted I'd been until now. I rubbed the back of my neck, watching the stage set up.

'I like your bracelet,' someone beside me perked up. I glanced over to the younger girl, who was smiling nervously at me.

'Oh, hey, well thanks,' I said, returning the smile. 'My Mum got it for me.' I tilted my head to the side. 'Oh wow, sweet hair,' I commented. 'I love the double-buns.'