127 (end - part 1)

direct message from @danisnotonfire

@danisnotonfire: hey

@phanclock: hey ??

@phanoclock: you're literally like two metres away from me

I glanced up at Dan, who was standing on the train, arm up, hanging off the handrail. We'd been partially separated by after-work public transport traffic, and a balding, mildly fat man in a business suit that didn't fit him anymore was jammed between us. Dan met my eyes through the crook in the man's raised arm, and he grinned at me, rolling his eyebrows like two little caterpillars doing a Mexican wave. I giggled quietly to myself. 

@danisnotonfire: yeah but mr potato man here is in the way

@phanoclock: hey!! i thought i was the only potato in your life

@phanoclock: </3

@danisnotonfire: aw bby don't worry it's only you

@danisnotonfire: i have eyes for only one potato

@phanoclock: mnnn do i believe you or do i smell him on your collar

@danisnotonfire: it was the hot chips from earlier i swear!! you are the only potato for me

I laughed a little more, aware that I was now that idiot who laughed at her phone. A soft drizzle of happiness spread through me. These interactions with Dan were never anything short of absolutely perfect. We seemed to fit in with each other - our words bounced off one another. This is great banter. The viral clip played in my mind and I almost laughed again. 

The train shuddered to a stop, and I reached my hand up and pointed to the doors so Dan and Phil, who was close by, would know this was where we were supposed to get off. I shuffled off with Dan and a few other commuters, hopping off onto the platform. Dan bounced off next to me, ruffling his hair. I stopped, glancing around for Phil. I frowned. 

'Wait, Dan, where's Phil?' Dan looked with me, until my eyes lifted as the doors shut and the train started to pull away, and Phil's two little lost eyes stared back at me from behind the glass.

My eyes widened. 'Dan! Phil's still on the train!' I cried out, grabbing his arm, and Dan's face split into shock before settling into a roar of laughter. He bent over on all fours, hands pressed into his knees, laughing his head off as Phil pulled off helplessly from the station. I was laughing too, but I hit Dan in the back. 'Stop laughing! The other half of your stage tour just vanished on a foreign train!'

Dan grabbed my arms, grinning, pretending to look shocked. 'What do we do, Meg? Oh Phil. He died too young.'

I shoved his shoulder. 'You're so overdramatic. We've just got to meet him at the next station which is-' I glanced up at the electronic board, '-City West.' (i have no knowledge of adelaide pls forgive i even googled train maps then gave up) 

'Let's go, let's go, let's go!' Dan cheered, grabbing my hand and dragging me up the escalators. I was giggling, his hand warm around mine, the buzz of alcohol like a warm blanket nestled over my brain. We'd just finished up at a bar a little way out of town, where they had live music and surprisingly good bar food. The world felt all gooey. The final round of tequila shots (which we'd done, gagged at, but laughed a lot) had finally started to set in. 

We ran up the stairs at the top, past people walking slowly, heads down, bags in hand, up and into the night. We jogged to a stop at the top, both breathing hard. Someone blew past on a bike. I tugged a hand through my hair as Dan glanced each way and we crossed the road. 

'I just texted Phil that we'll be there as soon as possible, and to just wait at the station,' he said, pocketing his phone. His eyes were almost wild, fevered with excitement. I guess it's not everyday you get to run through a strange city with a strange girl tucked into one hand. 'Uber?'