150

n.b. - edited 18/02/17

I stood at the tube station, tapping my phone against my leg. It was warmer down here, seeing as we were underground, the earthy, fume-filled air blowing past as a train slid into the station. Xing was beside me, the grocery bag resting against her leg. 

'Do I have to go?' Xing complained, slotting into the carriage with me. It was packed, as always, so we stood, gripping at the hand-holds above our heads. The train swung off, and everyone moved a little backwards in unison before it settled into that smooth, familiar glide. 

'Yes,' I said, looking at her. Xing was staring at my critically, eyes narrowed, like she was trying to decide whether she was going to ditch or not. Lydia had begged us to go out this weekend - get a couple of friends together, make it a group thing. I'd invited Dan and Phil, and Lydia had invited a few people from one of her Anthropology classes. Xing was still deciding whether she even wanted to go or not. 'It'll be fun,' I insisted. 'Anyway. We haven't been out in, like, a month. It'll be good.'

'I guess,' Xing sighed, tugging at the ends of her curly black hair. She'd put it up in one massive, fluffy ponytail, a few ringlets hovering around her face. 'I just want to get drunk. Like, super drunk.'

'As long as I'm not holding your head above a toilet, I'm fine with that,' I said, and Xing gave me a wry smile. 

'No promises, my friend,' she grinned. I gave her a reluctant smile back, but I was distracted, my head turning over thoughts and prodding and poking my last interaction with Dan. I think we both know you're with the wrong girl, Howell.  I rolled my eyes to myself and nearly slammed my palm against my forehead. Cringe cringe cringe cringe cringe-

'What's up?' Xing asked, watching me with a slight head-tilt. I returned the glance. I wasn't sure if I should tell Xing - she was the kind of person who felt very hard, unreachable. I wasn't sure if she'd understand, or care. 

'It's Dan,' I sighed anyway. 'Things are weird with him.'

'Weird? Weird how?'

I shrugged. 'I don't know. Weird. Before I came over to London, he gave me all these signals he was really into me. Then I get here, and he's got a girlfriend.'

'Dog move.'

I knocked my head from side to side, gripping the hand-hold tighter as we shuddered to a stop at the next station, a few people brushing past me. 'Not particularly. I mean, it was, like, four months.'

'Oh. That's more understandable then.'

'Yeah, but, it's obvious he's still into me. We're trying to be friends, but it's not really working out.'

Xing shifted, changing hands. 'Is it the best idea to have him there tonight?' She asked, and I let out a deep exhale, rubbing my eyes with the back of my free hand. 

'I don't know,' I admitted. 'Honestly. It got a little intense last time. But he wouldn't cheat on Bess.'

'Bess?'

'The girlfriend,' I clarified. 'He's not that type of guy.' I shook my head. 'I don't know,' I said again. 'I guess we'll just see what happens.'

We pulled in at our stop, and Xing gave me one of her brilliant smiles. Xing had the type of smile that every girl wanted - flirty, enigmatic, but genuine, at the same time. Like you never really knew exactly what was going on beneath it. Her eyes gave nothing away. 

'Well, if it goes to shit, we can just pick up some hot Irish boys and be on our way.'

I laughed, linking arms with Xing as we hopped off into the platform. 'Sounds like a plan, my man.'