154

3 months later.

'Dan! Stop! I swear to God, if you throw that fucking snowball-'

I was greeted by a cold slap of compacted ice to the side of my face. Dan, obviously not expecting to have hit me right in the face, was staring at me with his hands over his mouth. He started laughing, approaching me slowly, hands outstretched.

'Don't kill me,' he said, trying not to laugh. I, too, was trying not to laugh. I wanted to look as pissed as possible. He gave me big eyes. 'Can I kiss it better?'

'I mean, I wouldn't be totally opposed to that,' I said, and he split into a grin, crossing the few steps between us. He pressed a tiny, gentle kiss to the side of my face that he'd hit with his snowy projectile, my skin angry and red. 

'Sorry,' he said sheepishly, looking down at me. He ran a finger gently over my cheek, just skimming the skin. 'Total accident. Promise.'

'That's what they all say,' I teased, and he grinned, tugging his fingers through mine. They've been inside his gloves, so they're warm; soft.

'Why would I want to purposefully ruin my girlfriend's perfect face?'

I hit him in the side as we started walking. 'Ruin?'

'It's all red now,' he said, pointing to it. 'I mean, not that your face could ever not be perfect. It's one of the most perfect faces, as faces go.'

'You can stop being cute now,' I told him, his hand warm in mine. A fuzzy heat hummed in my chest. 'I'll forgive you.'

'Oh, but I'll never stop being cute,' he said, grinning that dimple-and-teeth grin. His hair was curly, longer, tickling along his ears. He nodded his head over to the little cafe perched on the edge of the snowy cliff. 'Now, let's go get some of that overpriced hot chocolate.' 

We'd been here a week now, trying to learn how to ski. I'd never been, and Dan had been once, so we were both pretty crap. I had decided I wasn't a massive fan. Since then, we'd mostly been having snowball fights, sledding races, and expensive hot chocolates at the cliff-top cafe. 

Oh, and the long, romantic nights by the fire were also pretty great.

We'd been travelling for the past month, through Paris, and Italy, Germany, Spain. We were in Austria, now, for our final leg of the journey. We were thinking of heading back to England for a while, to see Phil and some of my college friends, and then visit Australia for a little while. I was having the absolute time of my life, and all with my incredible (and very cute) boyfriend, Dan.

God, I never thought I'd say that.

It's only been three months, but it feels like an absolute lifetime, as cliche as that sounds. Maybe because I've known him for a lot longer. But these had been the best three months of my life. 

I glanced across at Dan as he sipped his hot chocolate. His hair was swept up, and he was tucked into a heavy black sweatshirt, his ski jacket hanging off the back of his chair. He must have noticed me looking, because he found my eyes, settling into a kind of hardly-there smirk. 

'You're staring, right. You do realise that.'

I smirked back at him. 'Just admiring the view.'

Dan faked surprise. He glanced around him. 'Oh. I didn't realise there was a window behind me.'

I laughed a little, hitting him in the side. He grinned back at me, tangling our legs beneath the table. His calves were warm, bundled up in ski pants. 'So. I was thinking we could explore the town tonight.'

'Mn, alright,' I said, sipping at my hot chocolate. Sure, it was overpriced, but it was probably the best hot chocolate I'd ever had. 'We should have dinner somewhere nice. There was that restaurant, remember? The one we passed on Monday. With the fancy lights.'

'And the good view,' Dan said, nodding. 'They had tiramisu,' he said, smiling. Tiramisu was my absolute favourite dessert ever. We had it on our first proper date after he'd broken up with Bess. 

'Tiramisu makes Meg happy.'

'Happy Meg, happy Dan. Let's go there, then. I'll book when we get back.' Dan glanced down at his phone, checking the time. 'Speaking of, what time do you want to head back?'

I shrugged. 'Soon. I've got to have a shower, get changed.' I motioned to my head. 'Do something with...this.'

Dan laughed. 'Okay, helmet-head. One more run, and then we're off?'

I nudged his knee with mine. 'You're on, Howell.'

I showered first, since I had to wash my hair. The hotel we were staying at had this awesome uber-fancy shampoo and conditioner set that made my hair smell like I'd been rolling around in a field of flowers. I came out wrapped up in a towel, my wet hair down to my shoulders. Dan was lying on the bed, on his phone. 

'Whatcha lookin' at,' I hummed, dropping down next to him on the bed. He squinted as a strand of my damp hair slapped him in the face. 'Unintentional payback,' I said, somewhat sheepishly. 

'Nothing much,' Dan said, locking his phone. He gave me a warm smile, kissing my forehead. 'Twitter mentions. That kind of thing.'

'Twitter,' I sighed, flopping over onto my back, my hair falling out behind me. Dan rolled onto his side so he could look at me, propped up on one arm. 'That feels like so long ago.'

'I know,' he said, giving a slight, husky laugh. The warm lighting from the various scone lights dotted along the walls lit up his head from behind, like a soft, fiery halo. 'What was your handle again? Phanoclock?'

'Don't remind me,' I groaned, covering my face. 

'I can't believe you shipped me and Phil. A little ironic now, isn't it?'

'I never really shipped you,' I said, uncovering my face. Dan was watching me, brown eyes almost black in the limited light in the room. 'I just liked the name 'phanoclock'. Plus, it was kind of fun, the whole gay shipping thing. I hadn't really gotten into it before.'

'Well, now you know I'm very much straight,' he murmured, breath fanning over my face. I felt my face go warm. 

'Yep,' I said quietly. I thought he was going to kiss me, but he didn't. Just nudged my in the thigh with his knee. 'Now go dry your hair, miss Meggie. We're going to be late to dinner.'

'Hah. Fine.'

'Can you wear that black dress?' He called out as I started to head back to the bathroom. 'You know, the one I like. The tight one.'

'Why?'

I didn't have to see his face to know he was giving me 'the look' - all half-closed eyes, nearly-there smile. 

'Because it's a lot of fun to take off.'

I was blushing as I scurried into the bathroom. 

a/n

aaand so i've decided this is one of the last chapters. 

I KNOW. I'M FREAKING OUT.

not the very last, but one of the last. this story needs to end eventually, and even though it kind of kills me, i think now is a good time. 

also HOW CUTE ARE THEY. holy jesus can meg be real and date dan bc they are super adorable!!

hope you guys liked the chapter :) if there's anything you want to see happen before i end it, let me know! I'll see what i can do :D

xx