Chapter 10: Ignorance Is Bliss

👉👌Luke's POV👌👈

"How does he do that?" I said to myself as I watched one of the best mannequin challenges. My face was still in complete aw until the actual mannquin messes up and everyone starts complaining because by then I was laughing. "You never cease to impress me Ryan Higa."

My momentary bliss is taken away when I see a message from Layla.

Can I come over?

Layla is one of my best friends and I will always love her, but trying to act cool around her when I know what her boyfriend really did is one of the most challenging things I have ever done in my fifteen years of life. One of the main reasons I have been able to do it for as long as I have is because we are usually with one other person if not two but her asking like this means she wants to talk to me privately and I don't think I can handle that.

Sure I message back.

Twenty minutes later Layla is walking into my room with two bug bags of Popcorners and a small smile on her face.

"Let's talk."

"I was going to say 'hey, what's up' but that works too." I say jokingly.

"I'm serious Luke." Layla says as she walks over to me and hands me my Costco wholesale sized bag of chips.

"And I'm serious about introductions." I reply.

"Okay okay, can we talk now?" Layla asks.

"Yes, now what brings you into my office?" I ask while patting the spot next to me on my bed and putting on my best therapist voice.

"Well I'm having some relationship problems and out of my four best friends you and Aubrey are the most comfortable and least awkward about it."

I tense when I realize where this conversation is going but continue any way.

"Meaning we don't act like Sean and Hunter."

"Exactly."

"Why didn't you go to Aubrey then?" I ask.

"Because she's busy right now and you live super close to me."

"Gee, thanks." I mutter.

"You are also the only other person who loves Popcorners as much as I do." I smile at that before opening the resealable bag and digging my hand in.

"So what's the problem in paradise?" I ask.

Layla stops for a second, clearly thinking of how to word her answer.

"Rick has been acting....distant lately." She says, never ceasing her chewing.

"Distant how?"

"I don't know, maybe it's the Adiutor in me but I can tell he's hiding something from me, and I don't know what to do about it."

I look at my friend taking in her defeated expression.

I can't keep this from her any longer.

"Layla, I need to tell you something."

"What is it?" She asks, her voice slightly muffled by the chips.

"Sometime last week I was going to one of my classes when....someone pulled me by my arm and dragged me into a random closet. There he-" I take a moment to clear my throat. "Touched me and grinded on me and when I didn't respond the way he wanted me to he threw me on the floor and shoved his....dick, into my mouth."

Saying Layla looked shocked would've been an understatement, but I knew I had to tell her.

"W-why didn't you tell us?" She asks.