Chapter 24: The End Of You And I

(A/N: Grab the mutha effin' tissues bish!)

3rd Person POV

Conner stared down at his cold pale hands. They were relaxed, unmoving, and let him take them in for as long as he wanted. These hands belonged to him. These hands were the ones that first touched Luke's cheek. These hands were the hands that always got to Luke before the rest of his body. These were the hands that held the truth back. These hands were the ones that caused Luke to break up with Conner.

Luke had not called Conner back once in the past two days. When Conner had offered to break up with Luke he hadn't expected his boyfriend to do it so quickly. That night when they had arrived at Luke's place Luke had gotten out of the car and stood beside the passenger door. Conner got out, expecting to walk Luke to let him walk the shorter boy to his front door. But Luke raised one perfectly soft hand and stopped Conner from moving with just a few words.

"I want us to break up." He told Conner, clenching his teeth to stay firm. "To take a break, I want time to . . . figure out what I want. When I decide what I permanently, whether I want us to get back together or move on with our lives I will tell you." Conner couldn't speak, his eyes widened and started to burn so he shot his gaze down to his dirty sneakers. It was one thing to think about not being with Luke in theory but now that he had to face the reality head on Conner was broken.

"Ok yeah," Conner croaked out. "I'll see you at school then I guess."

Luke held strong despite his
boyfr-friend, rapidly breaking down in front of him.

"Yeah, see you around." Luke mumbled, unable to look at Conner any longer. Luke had turned around and walked into his house, his heart heavy but his mind set. Conner would just have to deal with his decision and try to live with it.

Living with it was hard.

~~~

Aubrey looked between her two close friends and wondered what had happened. Conner, for the the whole week before their date, had energetically told the whole group all about what he was going to do with Luke. Conner for the most part a was a silent giant, but when Luke came up he talked more than he would in a whole year.

Because of this Aubrey was stunned when they came to the following school day and instead of acting even more like lovebirds we're ignoring each other. She first had though that it was just a pointless fight but during lunch Conner found himself a separate table and Kian and Damien awkwardly went over to sit with him.

"What is that about Luke?" Layla asked, looking over as Kian and Damien huddled around a stone faced Conner. "I thought you guys had your date last Friday."

Luke stared at his lunch, the sandwich going cold under his gaze. He let out a long dejectedly sigh.

"Conner and I are taking a break." He uttered lowly, biting his lip to hold back any emotion. "I needed time away from him."

The whole table was shocked, they had thought that Conner and Luke would be connected at the hip for years to come but hearing that Luke was the one to end things the way that he did changed everything.

"Why?" Aubrey asked in shock. "You guys were so-"

"He told me." Luke interjected, his three words explaining almost everything.

No one spoke anymore on the subject. As the days passed getting together as the whole group stopped completely. If there was anything similar neither Luke or Conner were invited for fear of an awkward situation

During lunch occasionally someone from one table would sit at the other but apart from that at school it was if everything between Luke and Connor had never happened.