Chapter 32

The next night, Michael was standing in the middle of a candle-lit room surrounded by five vampires: Bart, Merrick, a slender black-hared figure named Dominique, a burly looking vampire named Bruno, and a blond-haired lady named Christine. All five of them make up the Council, a group of clan leaders from each of the main cities in California, with the exception of Christine being the Queen.

Queen Christine was the first to speak. "Well, Bart, it seems like your sons have caused quite a stir in LA."

"That's true, but why isn't Caleb present as well?"

"He's not the one on trial, little brother, and he wasn't foolish enough to let the darkness consume him so easily," Merrick replied glaring at Michael.

"I agree, to have someone like Charla manipulate a baby like him is quite humorous, to say the least. Only 124 years old and never stood a chance against her," Bruno chuckled.

"If you guys are done bashing him, can we actually discuss this? Besides, this is not a trial, this is just merely a conference," Christine said. "Should he be put in trial anyway, your Majesty?" Dominique asked.

"Of course not, Nikki, he hasn't done any damage to the humans, so there's no need."

"Milady, please don't call me that."

"Why not? I like it. It's so 'today-ish'" she giggled. But seriously, over 130,000 dollars worth of damage was caused by him and Caleb, not to mention a property was destroyed thanks to his little rain dance. To top it off, a few humans saw your little schoolyard fight with Caleb. It took half of Nikki's clan to wipe away their memories." Dominique groaned at her nickname.

"And for what? A lowly, little human," Merrick scoffed.

Michael bared his fangs and snarled at Merrick. "Never insult Mia."

"Michael, please calm down," Bart sighed. Merrick laughed. "How cute, he's obsessed with her, haven't seen that kind of behavior since our time, brother."

"This Mia girl is your lifemate, right, Mr. Jackson?" Bruno asked. "Yes, sir", Michael nodded. "Hmm, judging by actions last night, you didn't seem to be doing a good job as her lifemate. It is your eternal duty to protect her. Her welfare and happiness is placed before yours and so on."

Merrick cackled at Bruno's comment. "Seriously, Bruno, you actually believe that bull?"

"I think it's kinda sweet. After all, it is the lifemate who keeps our beastly nature away from our souls," Dominique smiles lightly.

Merrick slammed his fists on the table. "You have been spreading your stories again, have you, Bart?"

"You know it's true, Merrick."

"It's pathetic!"

"That's enough, Merrick! Sit down!" Christine shouted. Merrick growled softly taking his seat. "If I may speak, your Highness?" Michael asked. "If it helps, I don't see why not?" Christine shrugs.

"I love Mia with all my heart, but what I've done last night is unforgivable. Lord Bruno is right, I failed as her lifemate," he said sadly. "Not only that, I almost put the humans' lives in danger."

"Well, the keyword is 'almost', so you shouldn't beat yourself for this. Besides, we should be discussing about Charla, not you. She's responsible for this whole fiasco."

"Charla has been imprisoned already, your Majesty. My clan made sure of that and has destroyed the necklace. She will be punished to the full extent," Merrick said. "Good to hear that. In that case, we will meet next time to discuss the time for trial and sentencing. Meeting adjourned, and I need a drink," Christine said banging the gavel.

After the meeting, Bart retired to his bedroom while Michael stayed outside. Mia walked out to join him.

"So, what happened?" Mia asked as she holds his arm. He leads her to the back of his house walking into a garden. "They let me go, simple as that," Michael shrugs.

"So no punishing you to live in a coffin or anything?"

Her comment made him laugh. "No, nothing like that. Charla is going to be dealt with for what she caused."

"That's good. What else happened?"

"Beside Merrick ranting about stuff, nothing much."

"Wow, you guys really are no different from humans. Not that I'm stereotyping you or anything, I'm just saying-" Michael placed a finger on her lips. "I want to apologize. I've placed in a situation that I wish I could take back."

"It's ok, Michael, you didn't even hurt me."

"You are my lifemate. I am supposed to protect you at all times, and I left you vulnerable to the darkness."

Mia cupped his face looking into his eyes. They were filled with sadness and love for her. "Michael, it's not your fault. It was never your fault. Both of us were placed in a dangerous situation, and something tells me that won't be the last time."

"But-"

"Ah, ah, my turn to speak," she giggled placing a finger on his lips. "Now, here's the deal, I'll forgive you if you promise not to mope around thinking 'I could have hurt you' or 'I don't deserve you'. Understand?"

"Alright, you got yourself a deal. From now on, it's nothing but making you happy," he smiles. Mia wraps her arm around him and hugs him. "Good, it's sad to see my boyfriend so depressed."

"Mia..."

"I know, I know, you're more than my boyfriend."

"A lot more."

Mia shoved him playfully until Michael picked her up and spins her around giving her deep, tender kiss.

As long as I have Mia, I will never be overcome by the darkness again. She is my lifemate. Two halves have came together to form whole, making us feel complete. No matter what stands in our way, we will always be together, for all time.

THE END...to be continued