SIX

Senior year of high school just seems to be dragging, I think to myself as I climb out of my car. Now just as one drama has being sorted out, another has sprouted. After Megan and Chris finally cut their shit, I caught James and Ashleigh yesterday afternoon making out in the car.

How am I supposed to tell Kelcy that one of her best friends is messing around with the guy she likes?

And most importantly, why would Ashleigh do that? She knows how Kelcy feels about James. I even thought James liked Kelcy too. I was clearly wrong.

I sigh and run a hand through my hair before my phone rings in my pocket. I fish it out as I make my way inside, ignoring the stares of the Rebels who hang around the entrance carelessly. When I check the caller ID, dread gnaws at my stomach. I have to tell Kelcy but I don't know how. Maybe I should also get Ashleigh's side of the story before I make assumptions.

I purse my lips as I bring the phone to my ear. "Hey Kelc." I try to sound enthusiastic only to hear silence on the receiving end. My steps to my locker slow down and I frown. "Kelcy?" I ask, finally hearing a sniffle in the background. I then realize she's crying and my stomach knots.

"Kelcy! Where are you? What's wrong?" I ask frantically.

"The bathroom nearest the cafeteria." She replies hoarsely and I make a detour.

"I'll be right there." I say before cutting the call. I jog to the bathroom before pushing the door open to reveal a seemingly empty bathroom.

"Kelc?" I ask softly and I hear shuffling behind a stall's door. I knock on it to hear another sniffle.

"Kelcy, please open the door." I ask and I hear the lock before she reveals herself. Her eyes are red with tear stains down her cheeks, black marks from her makeup being left in their wake. I frown before dropping my bag and pulling her in for an embrace. She holds me tightly, sobbing.

I rub her hair comfortingly and hold her tighter.

She knows about James and Ashleigh.

However, once she's calmed down I ask her what's wrong anyway.

"James... James and... and Ashleigh have been..." she struggles to say through her emotions. "Dating!" She sobs again and I frown.

"How did you find out?" I ask and she gulps.

"I went by her house yesterday and James's car was there. But I mean, many people drive the same car so I thought nothing of it but when I went inside, her maid told me her boyfriend was there. Her boyfriend named James." She starts to cry again and I hug her, hoping it will make her feel even the slightest bit better.

"I'm so sorry Kelc." I whisper, hearing the bell ring above us yet not caring if I'm late.

"I can't believe them." She mumbles.

"If James can't see how amazing you are then that's his problem. And Ash... well Ash is a horrible friend if she's been lying this whole time." I tell her and she nods before pulling back and wiping at her cheeks.

"I can get over James but... but Ashleigh? She knew how I felt about him and still went behind my back." She responds and I purse my lips.