THIRTY-SIX

I laugh loudly at the sight in front of me, cheering them on in the eerily night while they sing 'We Are Young' in the parking lot. Martin holds up his hand which is clutching a bottle of beer tightly and sways it.

Nina, Martin, Cole and Christina all link hands and dance like that but fail miserably when Cole collides with the floor and Rachel helps him up while the rest of us die from hysteria.

Alex beside me shakes his head with a chuckle. He checks his pockets for his car keys and grunts when Martin lets out a drunken whoop.

I am, in all honesty, shocked that Alex didn't drink tonight. Everyone at Ridgevale High knows that Alex never hesitates to get drunk at parties- one of the many reasons why girls think they'll get their way with him- so I expected him to at least have a bottle of beer here. But he had nothing. And for some reason that makes my heart swell. Now that I think of it, I haven't seen him talking or flirting with any girls during our stay here, either.

By the time I've realized that I'm staring, Alex is already looking at me with an amused smile and I blush crimson. "I know you like my laugh but no need to stare, Sophie." He teases me and if it's possible, I blush further at what I had said earlier.

I don't know where the confidence in there had come from but for some reason I just felt so free... so happy. I felt like I could tell Alex anything. At that moment when he was holding me in the middle of the dance floor, it felt like it was just me and him; nobody else. It just made me realize how much Alex means to me. How much my life has changed because of him; in a positive way. And I didn't want this week to end.

I scoff at his comment and roll my eyes, "Don't flatter yourself."
He chuckles and my lips twitch up into a smile.

By the time we get them all into the car, it's already early into the hours of the morning and tiredness rushes over me. I climb in the passenger seat after closing the door after the others.

Alex puts the key in as Martin starts singing horribly. One thing is for sure; Martin may be good looking but he definitely doesn't have a good voice.

Alex winces, "Damnit bro, can you chill? My ears are bleeding."
Martin leans in between mine and Alex's chair, the strong smell of beer wafting up into my nose and I cough lightly.

"Stop being such a baby." Martin whines. Alex rolls his eyes. He looks at all them in the review mirror and shakes his head before starting up the car.

"Turn the music up louder, Alex!" Nina demands. He sighs and puts the radio on higher with 'The Nights' playing and they all sing along.

I'm also extremely shocked that Rachel is drunk. She's never being much of a drinker.

Suddenly a thought pops into my mind and I voice it to Alex, "What if one of them throw-up?" I ask with a grimace. He looks at me briefly.

"Nah. The Rebels can handle alcohol. I think you've seen it..." He trails off and whether I was imagining it or not, I sensed shame in his voice. I nod my head and laugh lightly.

"Alex?" I ask.
"Mmh Hmm?" He responds, switching on his flickers.
"Why didn't you have a bit of fun tonight?"
He frowns at me.

"You don't have to be drunk to have fun." He answers curtly.
"Then why do you drink?" I blurt. The minute the words leave my mouth I regret it. "Shit. I'm sorry, Alex. That's none of my busi-"