TWENTY-NINE

"How can you say that?" I laugh with Martin, Cole, Nina, Christina and Alex.

"What? It's true. Girls with red hair are good in bed!" Martin teases again.

I roll my eyes. "That's so stereotypical."

Since Mr Howald -our maths teacher- didn't show up, our class was basically given a free period which lead to us sitting at the same table and taking about nonsense. However, I'm not really complaining since I was in no mood for geometry.

My eyes scan the classroom which lands on the Elite. It consists of Kelcy, Ashleigh, Tyler and Chris. They're all talking charismatically and laughing at a joke Chris makes.

My mind drifts back to all the times I sat at that table and listened to those jokes and laughed as well. A sad smile makes it's way onto my face.

I look at them one more time when Chris makes eye contact with me. The smile instantly drops and my mouth dries up. My heart aches and my eyes search every feature of his face hoping to find some form of forgiveness, acknowledgement, anything. His smile has dropped too and he stares directly at me. Suddenly all the nose in the room drowns out and all I hear is the beating of my heart.

I shouldn't care. But I do. Chris was the only one who managed to stick up for me and support me and now he hates me.

I frown at my thoughts.

But was he really there for me?

No.

A wave of determination washes over me and I break eye-contact with him trying to prove I'm stronger. The Rebels didn't see that I wasn't paying attention but Alex did.

He also stares at me, his eyes calculating.

I look at him for a second longer than needed before swallowing the lump in my throat and putting a smile on my face, trying to forget that my friendship with Chris is over forever.

****

"I'll have... a chocolate milkshake please." I say to the cafeteria lady, handing her a one dollar bill. She takes it and grimly turns around to get my order. I tap my fingers on the counter impatiently.

Luckily I'm the only one been served by this lady. I turn around to see if the Rebels are watching me when I come face to face with a very toned chest. I freeze, recognizing the scent.

I hesitantly look up to meet the intimidating gaze of Logan Ross and I internally sigh. He looks down at me, an evil smirk on his face.

"Sophie Cooper. Still in one piece after being with the Rebels for so long?" He sneers.

I roll my eyes, "Still a dick I see?"

He laughs, "Seems like you got quite a mouth on you now. Weren't like this when you were with us."

I scoff, "Your point is?"

Can't this lady hurry up?

He laughs, "That all Alex wants is to get into your pants.

I scoff.

"What? You thought they were different to us? Is that it? Well I got news for you Sophie, you're fucking wrong. Alex? He's just using you. He's an even bigger dick than I am."

"No he's not. He's not an arrogant prick who thinks the sun shines out of his ass." I seethe with anger. How dare he say that about Alex? He knows jack shit about him.