NINETEEN

I thought finding something to wear which would firstly, cover the huge cut on my leg and secondly, not be so tight on the bruise on my chest, would be easy.

Well... I thought wrong.

All my dresses end above the knee, and the shirts that go with my skirts are either tight or show skin.

I sigh and pull out a pair of high waist skinny jeans and a white halter top which isn't tight. I settle for those and a pair of wedges which give me a few extra inches.

After a refreshing shower and getting changed, I put my usual make up on and leave my hair loose trying to cover most of the bruise on my forehead because theres no doubt I'll be questioned about my injuries today.

Of course I can't cover the cut on my cheek or lip but I can at least hide the others. Alex told me that if Courtney questions me about what happened- even though she knows- I should act oblivious and not accuse her although I know it really was her fault.

After grabbing an apple for breakfast I climb into my car, not having to worry about saying goodbye to my mom since she already left for work.

Once I arrive, I cut the engine. I take in a deep breath, encouraging myself to not let this situation get the best of me. I tell myself that I can't let Courtney get to me. I open my eyes and apply a layer of lip gloss before climbing out of the car and slinging my bag over my shoulder. After locking my car, I head to my locker like usual while trying to ignore the stares that follow me as well as the inappropriate comments that flow out of the boys' mouths.

While packing my bag I try to remember I have any assignments due this week when I sense a presence behind me. I can immediately tell who it is and the perfume that I catch a wiff of only confirms my suspicions. I slap a smile onto my face and turn around to face a seemingly innocent Courtney.

The urge to hit her that overcomes me is unbearable and I have no idea how I manage to avoid giving into the urge. "Hey Courtney." I grit out. She gives me a perfect smile, her white teeth a striking contrast to her ruby lipstick.

Her eyes drop to my appearance before meeting my eyes and I already know where she's heading at. "Why are you wearing jeans today?"

"I felt like a change" I mutter feeling frustrated at how innocent she's acting.

"And those cuts? Where did you get them from?" She asks, gesturing to my face, with no concern whats so ever. Any other person would have missed the evil glint in her eye however, I certainly do not. I push my hand to my locker, slamming it shut and causing a bang to echo through the hallway. She doesn't flinch though.

"You know exactly where I got them from." I hiss lowly as I glare at her. I've never hated Courtney so much since I've known her, and trust me, this is not the only thing she's done to me that is worthy of my anger, but for some reason I feel like this time she has pushed it too far. People get raped at clubs. I could've been a victim of that...

"Oh but I do." She growls back, "And because you were a coward, I had to pay up two grand." Her eyes narrow into slits.

I know Alex told me not to say anything, but it's too late now.

"I don't give a shit if you had to pay up, you sold me out. You deserve to pay." I say looking at her- who now looks furious- feeling proud that I actually stood up for myself. For once. It's not because I'm a shy person or I lack confidence- because I don't- I just knew my place in the Elite and with Courtney all too well. I knew what I would get myself into if I went against her.

If you knew your lane in the Elite, you would be okay. Being in the Elite meant sacrificing who you were and the freshman me thought that was okay.