TWENTY-SEVEN

I wipe my sweaty palms on my jeans, and check if my make up is okay for the hundredth time- using anything as an excuse not to go into school.

"You can do this Sophie, you can do this." I prep talk to myself, gathering my things. With one last look around my car- the only place to offer me comfort at school- I open the door and climb out.

The warm Miami breeze sticks to my skin and I can already feel my self working up a sweat.

I look around the parking lot, the students that are hanging around already looking at me with intense stares and others snickering and whispering. I expected this. I really did, but it doesn't make it any better.

I hold my head up high and continue walking, pretending like it doesn't bother me. Been friends with the Elite for so long taught me how to pretend- it was almost a second nature.

The further I walk along the hallway, the more the snickers, stares and whispers grow. When I finally reach my locker, I pack my books and arrange everything the way I like it. I stand almost expecting my usual visitors- Chris, or Kelcy to come talk to me or Courtney to come complain about something I've done- to come. But they don't. I close my locker, making sure I don't make a noise so there isn't anymore of a reason for the students to stare at me.

As I turn to walk to class, I see somebody leaning on the locker beside mine I jump out of fright. I slap a hand over my heart and scowl.

"Don't do that Alex," I groan. He chuckles, making me weak at me knees.

"Enjoying the attention?" He asks, looking at the students that stare at us.

I huff in frustration, "No."

He looks back at me, "It'll get better, c'mon. Better not be late for class." He shrugs.

I smile tightly, "Yeah."

He nods his head in the direction of our class and we walk side by side. Some people give me looks of disbelief, envy or even pride while others simply gawk. I don't blame them though. This is probably the juiciest gossip they've gotten all year.

When we finally reach English, we push the door open and immediately the students who are in class hush to a whisper, watching mine and Alex's every move.

I guess it's a big thing to see Sophie Cooper with Alex Rosewood.

I walk pass Kelcy, James and Chis who give me the dirtiest looks I have ever seen and I fidget with my dress under their gazes.

I take a seat next to Nina who gives me a hello along with the rest of the Rebels. "Seems like they're really hating on you." She says, jutting her chin out in the direction of the Elite. I give her a small nod.

Throughout English, the stares and whispers don't stop. Niether does the hostility the Elite have towards me, but I get through the lesson.

To think I once called those people my friends frightens me.

Throughout all my classes, I was never alone, whether it was Alex or Nina with me, or even Cole or Martin. Finally third period rings signaling lunch and I sigh in relief. Maths was numbing.

I walk in the direction of my locker. "Where are you going Cooper?" Alex asks trailing behind me. "You should move into your locker since you're always here."

I roll my eyes at him, and quickly pack again. "Finished yet?" He asks.

"One second..." I say searching for the Rascals I bought. I stick my tongue out of my mouth in concentration trying to find it in my dark locker. I stretch my hand out right to the back feeling the surface for a packet. I'm sure I put them in here.