TWENTY-ONE

"Okay, bye guys!" I call out to the children.

"Bye Sophie and Alex!" The children yell in response in a sing-song voice. I laugh quietly as we make our way to the exit and the next girl takes over for her shift.

"Bye Kathy," I say as I reach the door.

"Bye y'all!" She smiles, only looking up from her computer for a millisecond. As the doors open to the parking lot, my hair blows in the direction of the wind and I sigh contently at the feeling.

The blue of the sky is now mixed with a light pink and golden glow, the sun setting on the horizon. I love sunsets however, they're also kind of sad since they signal the end of a day. I smile to myself while I look at the beautiful view I am blessed with.

"You're really good with children, y'know." Alex breaks the silence.

I almost forgot I wasn't alone.

"Thank you, you're not so bad yourself." I chuckle. He laughs along with me while we make our way to the middle of the parking lot.

"Thank you by the way, for helping me on Friday night." I thank him once more.

"You can stop thanking me now." He replies with an eye roll.

I smile at him before he also turns his face to watch the sunset. From where I am, I can see the light freckles that are just over his cheeks and nose. His hair falls messily over his forhead in an attractive way and I itch to push them back. He turns to face me and raises a brow with a smirk.

"Take a picture Sophie , it lasts longer." He teases. I roll my eyes although I flush slightly. "I'm going to go, see you later Mr I'm So Cool!" I say in a deep voice. He chuckles but gives me a small wave before I walk towards my car anyway.

I climb into my leather interior but before I get the chance to turn my engine on Alex calls me. I wind down my window. "Oh, and by the way- I dig jeans on you." He comments, winking at me cheekily. My heart litterly stops as the words leave his mouth.

He obviously sees that he has an effect on me because he chuckles a little before turning around and walking to his car, not allowing me to answer him.

When I arrive home, there's a note on the fridge that my mom left for me letting me know that she'll be home late, not that I'm surprised. Since I'm really eager to tell my mom about Rachel, I decide to phone her and tell her the news.

Apparently, Stephanie and Andrew- Rachel's mom and dad- already phoned my mom to let her know. And to say my mother's excited is an understatement. My mom was always good friends with the two and now they can rekindle. My mom also says that they'll be here tomorrow or Wednesday since Andrew has a buisness deal to confirm and then they'll slowly start moving things into their old house which they didn't sell. After that she cuts the call with a quick goodbye and 'I love you'.

I sigh, deciding it would be best to start working on my art project. Despite my body's protest at the thought of doing homework, I do it anyway. I start working on the desk in my room, scribbling ideas down and scrunching the bad ones up before tossing it in my bin.

Two and a bit hours later, and a whole lot of planning and pieces of crumpled paper on the floor, I have finally decided what I am going to do; I will make three 3D models of a person.

Two of them being of a different race and the last model will be one of a person without any skin, showing the internal organs. It'll show that even though we have different skin colours, if you rip that from us we'll all look the same. So, racism is a pointless thing.

Buliding three models will be extremely difficult but I think I can do it. Plus, I'll only make it of the shoulders up. With that in my mind I head downstairs to where my mother has just arrived home. I run downstairs, taking her into a hug.

"Hey mom! How was work?" I ask while kissing her cheek.

"It was long." She sighs. I pout at her, making her pinch my cheeks which earns a scowl from me. "But the good news of Andrew and Stephanie moving back made it a much better day." She laughs.

"I can't wait!" I add jumping up and down happily.

She grins at me before adding, "It will be so nice to see you and Rachel together like old times."
"Yeah," I answer thinking about all the memories we have together. "What have you being up to since you got home?" She asks, changing the subject.
"I was busy working on my art assignment."
"And what have you decided to do?" My mom asks while looking through the fridge.

I explain it to her and her eyes widen with a grin plastered on her face. "What do you think?" I ask sheepishly.

"I love it!" She exclaim.

"Really?" I ask

"Really!" She nods enthusiastically.

"How about we make dinner together tonight?" She asks .

I smile lazily, "Only if we cook lasagna."

****

"Yes mom, I got it!" I say, rolling my eyes playfully. As we stand outside our porch by our garage, about to go our separate ways, my mom explains- for what feels like the millionth time- what is happening this afternoon since Stephanie and Andrew are coming over to our house.

"Rachel said she might be late." My mom says rubbing my arms on the side.

"Howcome?" I ask, scrunching my eyebrows in confusion

"She's going for a job interview or something like that." My mom waves it off.

"Already?" I ask in surprise and my mom nods. However, I'm not too sure why I'm surprised since Rachel is a hardworking girl who always goes the extra mile.

"Anyway, I'm going to be late if I don't get a move on. I love you sweetie, enjoy your day." My mother pecks my cheek lovingly.

"Bye mom, you too." I respond and with that I climb into my car and drive to the place they call scholl instead of prison.

I make my way to my locker, walking passed the Rebels along the way but not acknowledging them like usual. I no longer feel the friction in the air like I used to when I walk pass them now. However, we don't spare a glance each other's way just to make sure our plan really does go to plan and that there are no suspicions whatsoever.

I sigh while packing my locker until Ashleigh interrupts me, "Hey Soph!" She says witha wide grin.

"Hey." I say, sounding unenthusiastic compared to her greeting.

"So we're going to Starbucks later, we'll see you there right?" She asks expectantly. I don't see why she feels the need to ask me that considering I always go along every Monday however, I'm glad she decided to ask so that I can decline.

"No, sorry. Remember when I said I'm grounded for a week? Yeah I meant that, but you guys go ahead and have fun ." I say in a clipped tone as I shut my locker.

Ashleigh frowns at me. "Oh come come on, Soph. You have to be kidding."

I force a smile. "Not today, Ash. See you at lunch." I respond and turn my back, leaving her shocked.

Nice work Sophie. Nice work.

Hello Everyone. I just wanted to point out that some chapters are much longer than others and I hope that's okay💗

Please don't forget to drop me a comment and vote :)

VoteCommentShare

Vote♡Comment♡Share