FORTY-FIVE

I pace around my room as I pull my hair into a bun and think about how this evening is going to go.

Alex will be here any second and I have no idea how we're going to act natural in front of our moms when we were basically sucking face just about an hour ago. I pause at that and groan.

Then I hear the doorbell and my mom calling my name. I chew on my lip nervously and make sure what I'm wearing is right. It consists of a simple pair of shorts with a black shirt tucked in and sneakers like usual.

I walk downstairs to see Natalie and my mom talking animatedly but no sign of Alex or Lily.
"Oh, Sophie!" Natalie gushes when she sees me. I smile as I walk into her embrace.

"How are you?" I ask.

Her red lips pull up into a grin. "Wonderful now that this long awaited visit has happened." She winks at my mom and my mom chuckles.

I laugh and look over her shoulder to try and see where Alex is. Oh, and Lily. She catches my wondering gaze and chuckles.
"Alex is just getting Lily's toys out of the car." She informs me just as I hear giggling from outside.

Alex then walks in with a laughing Lily on his shoulders while she holds a barbie doll. When they notice that we're all watching them they stop and Alex and I immediately lock eyes. It's like I'm sucked into a trance and everything else has disappeared except for Alex.

However, I am transported back into reality when Lily squeals my name and Alex puts her down so that she runs to me and I lift her up in a tight hug as she wraps her arms around my neck. Emily chuckles as they move into the kitchen and I eventually put Lily down. "How are you?" I ask and she gives me a toothless smile.

"I'm fine and you?" I nod.

"I'm good."

"Lily! There's cookies here for you." I hear my mom yell and Lily's face lights up as she sprints into the kitchen leaving me and Alex laughing. When I feel his eyes on me, I look at him and my breath hitches in my throat.

"You... uh... want to go up to my room?" I ask and his mouth twitches into a smirk.

"We already there in the relationship?" He teases and I scoff with a smile.

However, I don't miss the mention of us having a relationship. That immediately sets my face on fire and butterflies to flutter around in my stomach. I turn around and head towards the staircase, trying to wrap my head around how I got here with Alex. We were strangers just a few months ago.

"We'll be upstairs," I tell my mom as I peek my head into the kitchen and she sends me a brief "Okay" before getting engrossed in her conversation with Alex's mom.
From there I head to my room, Alex following extremely close behind which makes me cast a quick glance at him over my shoulder.

When I reach my room, I silently thank luck for making me decide to tidy it up yesterday. I walk in first just as Alex follows in. He closes the door behind us, probably trying to make sure that our moms don't end up hearing what we're saying. As I turn around, Alex is already right behind me which makes me squeal in surprise. He cups my cheek and before I know it, we're kissing again and everything I originally wanted to say, everything that was running through my mind before, suddenly dissipates. I pull him closer to me and think about how long I've wanted this.

To kiss him. Him.

That immediately brings me to my original reason as to wanting to talk to him. With every fibre of my being, I manage to pull away and I take in a sharp intake of breath. I move my hands from around his neck to his toned chest and I push lightly, trying to create a little bit of distance between us so that I can actually think straight. His eyes scan my face and he frowns in worry at me. I purse my lips before letting out a sigh.