THIRTY-ONE

Sunscreen, check.
Hat, check.
Costume, check.

I lay my list down on my bed and run a hand through my hair, letting out a sigh of relief since I'm finally done packing. Alex will be here in ten minutes to fetch me to start our week off and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't ecstatic. I stare at my suitcase before letting out a loud squeal of excitement for this coming week.

I can't believe we're actually going. My mom, when I asked her, had no problem with it and neither did Alex's dad regarding our stay at the hotel.

A free stay at the Rosewood Hotel? Now that's something to be happy about. It's not everyday you get to go to a five star hotel for free.

I grab my suitcase and walk downstairs, not trying to control the smile on my face or the excitement that makes me light on my feet.

"Ready?" My mom asks when I reach the kitchen.

I nod excitedly, "Yep. Alex just needs to help me grab my surfboard."

My mom raises a surprised eyebrow. "You're going to surf?"
I've known how to surf since I was six. I'm not a pro at it or anything but I am quite good. After all, my dad and I used to surf nearly every weekend. My parents had even considered moving closer to the beach at one stage. Since then, I've always had a passion for it. It was fun, exhilarating- like dancing. After my dad left, I didn't really have anyone to go surfing with since my mom was always busy working, I didn't have friends to drive me there and I couldn't exactly catch a taxi with a surfboard, so I stopped. Not only that, but it hurt. A lot.
It reminded me so much of my dad and his betrayal and how he ruined our family. I remember going once with my mom and crying non-stop at the memories that were replaying in my head, over and over again. I stopped when I was about fifteen. If I hadn't, the Elite would've made me anyway.

I give my mom a sharp nod, "Yeah. We're going to the beach, might as well make the most out of it." I shrug as if it's nothing.

She smirks, "You're probably going to have to practice a bit before though sweetie. It's being a while."

I give her small smile, "Alex will help me. He already thinks I don't know how to surf."

My mom laughs, the sound warming. "He's got another thing coming then."

I laugh with her too, "He has no idea."

"Enjoy it sweetie, you deserve this." She grabs my hand from across the kitchen island and gives it a reassuring squeeze. "And enjoy the surfing, you haven't done it in a long time."

I nod, "I will Mom, thank you for letting me go."

She nods just as the doorbell rings and my face lights up in happiness as I rush to open it. Before me, Alex stands casually in a navy blue shirt and a dark pair of jeans. When his eyes meet mine, I grin.
"Excited?" He smirks.

"Yep." I nod enthusiastically and he laughs as I leave the door open, granting him access.

My mom walks out of the kitchen, her coffee mug in hand and smiles sweetly at Alex. "Hello sweetie."

"Hello Emily, how are you?" He asks as he pauses in the passage.

"Very well, thank you." He nods with a smile at my mother and then follows me into the garage.

"You look good in shorts." He comments, scanning my outfit.
I roll my eyes as I switch the lights on, trying to suppress my blush. "You say that about everything I wear."

"Maybe beccause you look good in everything you wear."
I pause and look at him, my cheeks reddening even more. He stares at me intently and I feel myself squirming under his gaze.
I clear my throat and gesture to my surfboard hanging on the right wall to which his eyes follow. He smiles. Alex walks towards it and unhooks it, letting out a grunting sound in the process before he brings it down and puts it in front of me.